50gal help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone. I have been gradually stocking my 50gal over the last few weeks, and i need some help.

I have :
4 platies 4x2"=8"
1 dojo loach 1x6"=6"
1 angel 1x6"=6"
1 guppy 1x2"=2"
5 head and tailight tetras 5x2"=10"
2 honey dwarf gouramis 2x2"= 4"
1 african butterfly fish 1x4"=4"

8+6+6+2+10+4+4=40"

I want to include another larger centerpeice fish (blood parrot, severum, festivum...)

I also want to have a nice shoal of cories (4-8)

and i want a school of cardinal tetras or neons. (10)

and i want some dwarf cichlids (2)

Now, it sounds like i am going to be WAY!! overstocked.

I can cut out the larger centerpeice fish, but i need some bottomfeeders and i really want some small schooling fish. And i have always wanted a breeding pair of bolivian rams or GBRs.

arrg, what should i do!

WaterPond said:
Hey everyone. I have been gradually stocking my 50gal over the last few weeks, and i need some help.

I have :
4 platies 4x2"=8"
1 dojo loach 1x6"=6"
1 angel 1x6"=6"
1 guppy 1x2"=2"
5 head and tailight tetras 5x2"=10"
2 honey dwarf gouramis 2x2"= 4"
1 african butterfly fish 1x4"=4"

8+6+6+2+10+4+4=40"
you really stick to the 1 inch/gallon rule don't you :?
I want to include another larger centerpeice fish (blood parrot, severum, festivum...)

I also want to have a nice shoal of cories (4-8)

and i want a school of cardinal tetras or neons. (10)

and i want some dwarf cichlids (2)

Now, it sounds like i am going to be WAY!! overstocked.

I can cut out the larger centerpeice fish, but i need some bottomfeeders and i really want some small schooling fish. And i have always wanted a breeding pair of bolivian rams or GBRs.

arrg, what should i do!
personaly i would not add a 2nd large center piece fish and if i did i would get a second angel (to many different species make a tank look "clutered" IMO... get your cories (get a pygmy species) go with cardinals, your angel will like the neons to much *(as in have them for dinner) and go will the GBR as they are smaller then the bolivians.

why only one guppy? i would get a couple more (1m and 2f) sure they will breed like made...but you fish will love the live food :twisted:

grrr, no more livebearers, i used to have like 5 guppies in my 10gal, and this is the remaining one and i am pretty much waiting for it to die off.

Ok, i will cut out the centerpeice fish

And, i dont really stick to the 1"/gal rule. lol, i just like to figure out how many inches of fish i will have. :D

Ok, GBRs it is

And cardinals, yay!

Ok, i'm glad i can have all that. Thanks Jason

I would look toward finding new homes for the guppy and the swordtails. The gourami's and your lone angel will have to suffice as your centerpiece(s) along with the butterfly (size and dominance of surface areas force them to be showcases).

I would also go with the cardinals, they are a far better choice since the neons will cause issues as JDogg mentioned (not to mention the very likely problem of NTD).

You can get cories without a problem. Now, the dwarf cichlids might be a problem if you are thinking of breeding. In order to gain better odds of having a pair, you will need to get at minimum 5 of them.

If you recheck the numbers (give the cories 2" and the cichlids @3-4"), see if that is busting your tank as yet.

if it were me, i would choose between the honey gouramis and the GBRs - not both. personally i would also have skipped the head and tail lights, maybe for more cardinals/cories, but that's just me :p

i really like the Head and taillights, and i love the gouramis.

The platies are coming out. Back into the 10gal they go.

I am still going to get a pair of GBRs, aswell, i am going to get 4 julii cories (all i can afford) and 8 cardinal tetras and then i will call myself stocked

Back
Top Bottom