55 cookie cutter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking at the "cookie cutter" set ups for a 55gallon tank... http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

I was looking at some of the set ups and it seems like most of these recommendations have a huge number of allowed fish. Just as an example ...

" Lake Malawi Haplochromine Aquarium

Select up to 3 groups (Only 1 male for each group is preferred. 9 fish total for the tank):
• Any Copadichromis species (except for larger species i.e. borleyi, jacksoni, etc.)
• Any Promotelas species (except for larger species, i.e. taeniolatus, spilontus, sp. "Mbenji Thick Lip", etc.)
• Any Aulonocara species (no jacobfriebergi)
• Any Placidichromis species (except for milomo)
• Otopharynx lithobates
• Any Nyassachromis species "

Looking at the sizes of these fish they range from 5.5 to 7.5 in. Now I realize you dont HAVE to have all these fish in there, but having 9, 5 in fish in a 55 seems like a lot to me. Is it? I am used to having a very under stocked aquarium and so I don't know if that REALLY is too much fish or if it only SEEMS like too much fish in comparison to what I have.
What do you think?

Yeah, that might be a little crowded, especially with a pleco in there if you want to keep algea under control.

I don't think it's overcrowded with 9 fish. If Africans are slightly overstocked, it helps keep down on aggression. Weekly water changes are a must with these guys. So as long as you do once or twice a week water changes, you can easily stock what is listed. We are now up to twice a week because our cichlids are starting to reach adult size and pooping like adults. :) Also, some of the haps listed above stay relatively small (under 5 inches).

When you get into Mbuna (not sure if you were looking at Mbunas or only Haps), you can stock a little heavier, depending on the fish that you choose. Ie: Yellow labs.

Back
Top Bottom