55 gal Blog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I didn't know you were putting the dwarfs in there. Aren't you scared they might eventually become lunch?

My bichir doesn't even look at them. Plus they are a lot faster than him. So far they are big enough that he hasn't attempted to eat them. How ever he did bite off my poor bgk's tale :( But he is healing nicely. I think once I am done medicating my BGK i will put them back in the 20 and start a community tank

They don't have them...I didnt ask the lady cuz when i asked her about plants she gave me a mean look and was like "of course we don't carry live plants! Do you know how hard it is to get fish from a planted tank!?" I will wait until another date to ask for a special order, but if they don't have them i might get a gold guorami insted. I really want a gourami, but i want the tank to have a sort of natural look. I wanted all earth tones no bright colors (i know im weird). Another problem with my lfs is they only carry fry or really small fish. The biggest gourami were the opalines and they must have been there for awhile. Its understandable because quite a few were mutated. Their spines were bent in an S curve. Why would you even sell those? Any who I am going to look around for another near by fish store. I'll let you know what gouarmi i finally get. If you have suggestions i would love to hear them :D

Um, all gold gouramis are bred in aquariums or fish farms and are usually bright colored. Snakeskins aren't brightly colored and I think they may get them from the wild, not sure on that though. Kinda confused about the wanting no bright colors but at the same time wanting a gold gourami. What it seems like you're saying is snakeskin's are brightly colored and gold's are not? :|
Gold and opaline are the same species, just different color variations. They usually don't sell larger ones at stores. They get to about 5".

no sorry to confuse you... From some pictures of gold gouarmis they didn't look to brightly colored. I suppose they are than.
The fish store just didn't have snake skin gouarmis, but they had opalines, moonlight, dwarfs, pearls, and a bunch others i can't recall.
The fish they were selling were about 1/2" to 1" wich won't work to well with my bichir sense he would snatch them right up.
I guess gouarmis don't have a wide variaty of not britghly colored species, but i like them a alot.
Do you know of any other types of gouarmi that is not too colorful? If not another fish that would go well in my tank.

Stocking list:
1 or 2 African Butterfly Fish
1 or 2 Mid dwellers (ie Snakeskin Gouramis)
1 Bichir Senegal
1 Black Ghoust knife fish (I might give him to a teacher with a larger aquarium)

Snakeskins are nice, but not terribly common, as they are less attractive and bigger than most, so stores don't stock them much. Any luck finding some leopard ctenopoma? Other gouramis like blues/golds would work, assuming you can find some that are a good 3".

they were about 2-3" They were probably the best looking bunch they had there. They also had another group of gourami's that looked a lot like moonlights but they had a different name... Maybe they were just mislabled moonlights :?

Any luck finding some leopard ctenopoma?
I read up on them and the only places i can find where they sell them is online...i'm still not sure about buying fish off the internet

I think the moonlights could work if they're big enough, are fed well and get plenty of PWC's.

Back
Top Bottom