55 gal bottom feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two 55gal FW tanks and I need to come up with bottom dwellers. I love BN plecos, but I am wondering what else I could get. Stock lists will most likely be as such

Son's tank
6 congo tetras
8 long finned gold danios

our tank
6 giant danios
10 tiger barbs

any opinions would be great
:thanks:

skiweeangel said:
I have two 55gal FW tanks and I need to come up with bottom dwellers. I love BN plecos, but I am wondering what else I could get. Stock lists will most likely be as such

Son's tank
6 congo tetras
8 long finned gold danios

our tank
6 giant danios
10 tiger barbs

any opinions would be great
:thanks:

Syno cat, or commonly called featherfin catfish. Or, peacock eel, most entertaining fish i have

Synodontis would definitely be a better bet than Cory cats to mix with tiger barbs. A single featherfin or a group of petricola would work well in either tank, Cory cats would be fine with the congo tetras and danios.

Thank you all. I'll have to check some of those out. I thought my tank was too small for a peacock eel.

skiweeangel said:
Thank you all. I'll have to check some of those out. I thought my tank was too small for a peacock eel.

Nope...55 is a great size. I have one in my 40

the peaceful has gravel and the semi-agressive has sand, would that make a difference? hmmm i think i just need to do some good old fashion research! i have my jumping off points now.

skiweeangel said:
the peaceful has gravel and the semi-agressive has sand, would that make a difference? hmmm i think i just need to do some good old fashion research! i have my jumping off points now.

Is it small gravel? He would love the sand, but mine does just fine with my eco complete:)

skiweeangel said:
It's just small gravel. The regular LFS stuff.

Could i see a pic? Honestly, either way youll be fine. Mine only really eats bloodworms, so be prepared for that. Also, they are jumpers. Be REALLY careful about holes. Any size :)

So I have heard about the jumping. We already have blood worms in the house as treats for everyone else. How often do you feed your little one?

I feed mine bloodworms twice weekly, I think they may also snatch a few NLS pellets too.
img_1699664_0_ef20d05ec730df4a69088549e5f5ad77.jpg

img_1699664_1_51f813ce0695ecdb9769d428031522ce.jpg

img_1699664_2_76ce7534b8efdf765985a2d3acb2c9aa.jpg

Cool fish, but generally worthless for cleaning up leftover food other than bloodworms. Certainly not as useful as catfish for that purpose.

skiweeangel said:
So I have heard about the jumping. We already have blood worms in the house as treats for everyone else. How often do you feed your little one?

Twice a week, he gets most of the cube. I hand feed the little guy too. Even if i dont have the food he still swims through my fingers:)

Toddnbecka-

I am glad you also feed twice a week, i have been worrying that mine doesnt eat enough! Also, yours doesnt much look like a peacock, you sure?

Pics:) one new one..

toddnbecka said:
I never said mine were peacock eels, they're Tanganykian spiny eels.

Ohh, i just assumes you were talking about peacocks, because you said...i feed mine...but i gottcha! Eels in general!

Back
Top Bottom