55-GAL Discus Tank w/ Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmfisher1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All!

This is my first post here at AA, so I am going to make it a good one.

I have a 55-gallon fish tank with 5 Turqoise Discus right now. The tank is almost a year old. I have had continued problems with brown algae for the past 3 months. I am not new to aquarium keeping nor the demands of taking care of demanding fish.

I do weekly water changes (about 15-20%) and do a gravel clean monthly. I feed either brine shrimp or blood worms once daily. Lighting is left on about 8-10 hrs.

I've done a descent amount of research concerning my algae build-up and have narrowed down the cause to either my pH down (API), the fact that I am using tap water (conditioned of course) or the fact that I do not have live plants nor high intensity lighting (which I do not think is as big a factor as the first two). I do not have any bottom feeders (which I know I need, but just recently purchased a sick tank so I will be adding a few Otocinclus soon).

I am interested in turning this tank into a planted tank at some point and know that I will probably need a CO2 injector and higher intensity lighting (and possibly RO filtration).

I am trying to strengthen my grasp on water chemistry (particularly the relation between pH, hardness, phosphates, and CO2.) I know the nitrogen cycle and that isn't really a concern of mine because I keep up with my water changes regularly.

Any advice?

Welcome to AA! :)

My first thought is actually phosphates from the frozen food, but that is ruled out if you rinse it before hand. Have you tested your tap? Having a good baseline is critical.

As far as the chemistry, I'm no expert. Look for posts from jsoong, he's the man.

Yes, that is what I first thought of when I encountered this problem, but, I do rinse before feeding so I don't think that's it.

Thanks for the heads-up on jsoong!

Back
Top Bottom