Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2003, 11:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

55 gal glass tank is bowing......

I have an old 55 gal glass aquarium made in 1979 that doesn't have a center brace. The glass 3/8 inch thick though. It bows about 2/8" - 3/8" when filled. Is this the norm for an old aquarium or should i look into putting a new frame with brace on top?

Old 11-23-2003, 11:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would brace it, the silicone might also be brittle

Old 11-23-2003, 11:49 PM   #3

The seals were overall in good shape except for the corners from top to bottom so i resealed it. Doesn't leak though and have had it up for 1 month now with no problems. Just don't know if this is acceptable though.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would definitely brace it; 55 gallons of water on the floor is a veritable flood

Any sort of bowing, especially near a half inch, is unacceptable IMHO.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 12:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your options are to build some sort of clamp system or buy a new top rim section for it. Unfortunatly both options will probably requireyou to empty the tank most of the wayso that you are placing too much pressure on the glass during the repair.

But I would do something, cause you don't want that much water coming out (bad for the carpet, bad for the fish).
Old 11-24-2003, 05:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

if this tank has made it the past 24 years without issue, why do you feel the need to fix it now?

my 29 gallon tank, which is only about 2 years old has a bow of almost 1/4", the only reason I noticed is my custom made canopy doesn't fit quite like I wanted because of the bow

I have not tested my 30 gallon for bowing, as it doesn't concern me.

if the glass is truely 3/8" thick, it's more than strong enough to handle the stess, provided your silcone is intact and has good tight joints.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just wander over to your local welder and ask him to weld to gether a piece X long, with a X long downpointing tab on each end.

Have a friend or five gingerly squeeze the tank back into position, slip the new "brace" on and gently let go of the tank.

It wont' be pretty, but it fixes it.

any ammount of bow is unexceptable, it means the glass is taking more stress than it should.

And as we know, stress...after time [ days, months, years, ect ] will eventually cause something to breka
Old 11-24-2003, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justDIY
if this tank has made it the past 24 years without issue, why do you feel the need to fix it now?

my 29 gallon tank, which is only about 2 years old has a bow of almost 1/4", the only reason I noticed is my custom made canopy doesn't fit quite like I wanted because of the bow

I have not tested my 30 gallon for bowing, as it doesn't concern me.

if the glass is truely 3/8" thick, it's more than strong enough to handle the stess, provided your silcone is intact and has good tight joints.

The reason i ask is because i purchased it from someone else. He hadn't mentioned any problem or concern with it but said it sat for maybe 8 years without use. He said he just wasn't into fish anymore. As far as the glass thickness is concerned, It is 3/8 inch thick, I measured it. My 40 gal long is only 1/4 inch thick with a center brace. Also, If i lower the water level a little bit, maybe an inch or so, It goes from maybe 3/8 inch bow to 2/8 inch bow. I guess if i'm concerned i will just leave the level a little lower.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lower the water level and get some crabs!

When life gives you lemons.... make lemonade!
Old 11-24-2003, 09:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm betting within the next three months Jay will be posting about how his house was flooded :p

Tags
55 gallon, glass, glass tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com