55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbnl06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think I have too many fish but people were saying that I'm fine. I have 2 rainbow sharks, 2 red tip sharks, 1 elephant nose, 3 goldfish (2 albino), 3 demasoni cichlids, 2 zebra, 1 tetra, 2 algae eaters, 2 baja cats, 1 arowana and a banded knife fish

Attachments

• image-3317623125.jpg
    image-3317623125.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 113
I am not sure about the amount of fish but I know that you might look into more decorations to give them more places to hide. so that they can each have their own favorite spot. I am new though, this is just what I have read about

Ohh and welcome to AA the people have been extremely helpful since I got here

Meagan.Marie said:
I am not sure about the amount of fish but I know that you might look into more decorations to give them more places to hide. so that they can each have their own favorite spot. I am new though, this is just what I have read about

Yeah I'm getting live plant soon and I have a cool idea to put slate on the side and make a cave-like tank for the knife and cichlids and any ideas for a background for my tank

Your biggest problem is the types of fish, not the number. You have several fish that should not be kept together. Some of those fish are going to outgrow that tank, some will kill the other fish in the tank, and there are at least 3 that require completely different water conditions. I think you need to rethink your stocking and stick with fish that are compatible with each other.

mfdrookie516 said:
Your biggest problem is the types of fish, not the number. You have several fish that should not be kept together. Some of those fish are going to outgrow that tank, some will kill the other fish in the tank, and there are at least 3 that require completely different water conditions. I think you need to rethink your stocking and stick with fish that are compatible with each other.

Well I definitely want to keep the arowana, the knife fish and the cichlids, would those be alright together?

No. African cichlids need to be kept only with African cichlids. I can't really offer much advice on the arowana or knife fish, but I know from what I've read that arowanas get huge, so I'd say that a 75g is still going to be too small for it.

mfdrookie516 said:
No. African cichlids need to be kept only with African cichlids. I can't really offer much advice on the arowana or knife fish, but I know from what I've read that arowanas get huge, so I'd say that a 75g is still going to be too small for it.

Yeah I talked to a lot of people and I know the arowana will outgrow the tank but they said it will take more time bc the amount of fish and the tank size but eventually I'm converting to a 125g tank.

Also what african cichlids would go well with the demasoni cichlids such as the fire mouth, jack, jewel cichlids? And also before I convert to 125g I might get a 10g tank for the cichlids

Also what african cichlids would go well with the demasoni cichlids such as the fire mouth, jack, jewel cichlids? And also before I convert to 125g I might get a 10g tank for the cichlids

First, firemouths are not african cichlids, and jewels are from the rivers, not the lakes in Africa (africans from the lakes will slaughter them). For compatible fish, go to cichlid-forum.com and look at their profiles section (stick with fish from lake malawi). They have information about almost every cichlid known to man. Realistically though, Demasoni are not a 'community' african. They don't always play nice with others.

Second, a 10g tank is not suitable for any African cichlids other than shell dwellers from Lake Tanganyika... and to grow out fry.

mfdrookie516 said:
First, firemouths are not african cichlids, and jewels are from the rivers, not the lakes in Africa (africans from the lakes will slaughter them). For compatible fish, go to cichlid-forum.com and look at their profiles section (stick with fish from lake malawi). They have information about almost every cichlid known to man. Realistically though, Demasoni are not a 'community' african. They don't always play nice with others.

Second, a 10g tank is not suitable for any African cichlids other than shell dwellers from Lake Tanganyika... and to grow out fry.

Thanks I'll look at the forum and FYI I'm new to this, I had the tank for month and a half

mfdrookie516 said:
We all start somewhere, I was there once... As long as you're willing to learn, you'll be just fine ;)

What would be a good size tank for the cichlids?

Minimum 55g or at least a tank that is 4' long. Technically, you could probably get away with a 40 breeder with Demasoni, since they're technically in the 'dwarf' classification, but I would be much more comfortable with a 55g.

Either keep a cichlid-only tank, or return them to the store and get credit for other fish/equipment.

Back
Top Bottom