55 Gallon Aquarium Planning/Stocking Help Please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileymc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys!

So I am thinking about buying a 55 gallon aquarium.. probably the Marineland 55 gallon LED Biowheel starter kit and making some minor adjustments/upgrades to it.

What should I put in it? I am going for a community tank of tropical fish. I like color, variety, activity, and would appreciate all levels of the tank to be utilized by the fish. What and how many of each should I put inside it if I end up purchasing one?

Thanks for all the help!! :)

IMG_7103.JPG

Unless you get them on a heck of a sale the kits tend not to be worth it. Get a 55 gallon tank at petco at a dollar per gallon sale, a pair of aquaclear 50's, and solid 200 watt heater (I like the eheim submersibles) and you'll have a great start for less than the cost of the kit. Depending on what you want to do for plants that also leaves you with options for the lighting without having to toss hoods you already paid for.

Eheim 250 watt $30

Aquaclear 50 $35 (you'll want 2)

Unless you get them on a heck of a sale the kits tend not to be worth it. Get a 55 gallon at a dollar per gallon sale, a pair of aquaclear 50's, and solid 200 watt heater (I like the eheim submersibles) and you'll have a great start for less than the cost of the kit. Depending on what you want to do for plants that also leaves you with options for the lighting without having to toss hoods you already paid for.

Alright thanks! Do you have any ideas on what I could stock it with, and how many of each?

Alright thanks! Do you have any ideas on what I could stock it with, and how many of each?

All kinds of things! A 55 gallon is incredibly versatile. Here's some ideas for fish to look at: Corydoras catfish, zebra loaches, kuhli loaches, bristlenose plecos, angelfish, neon tetras, glowlight tetras, guppies, platies, zebra danios, cherry barbs. Note that not all of those fish can be mixed with each other *gives dirty look to angelfish* but most of them can and they are all generally good community fish and are hardy and easy to take care of. I would research some of those, find out what you like, what those fish need and then you can figure out what kind and how many of each fish you want to do (and we can help with that (y)). And of course feel free to look at other fish too. But there are so many options for a 55 gallon that it's hard to say where to start!

All kinds of things! A 55 gallon is incredibly versatile. Here's some ideas for fish to look at: Corydoras catfish, zebra loaches, kuhli loaches, bristlenose plecos, angelfish, neon tetras, glowlight tetras, guppies, platies, zebra danios, cherry barbs. Note that not all of those fish can be mixed with each other *gives dirty look to angelfish* but most of them can and they are all generally good community fish and are hardy and easy to take care of. I would research some of those, find out what you like, what those fish need and then you can figure out what kind and how many of each fish you want to do (and we can help with that (y)). And of course feel free to look at other fish too. But there are so many options for a 55 gallon that it's hard to say where to start!

Thank you so much for all of your advice, I really appreciate everything!! :)

55 gallon Marineland. Came with hood, light and stand. Swapped light out for programmable LED. I use an extremely quiet (pretty much silent) canister filter.

Population is very peaceful, seven Zebra Danios, three Clown Loaches, a Betta (Elijah Blue) and a Mystery Snail, Dick. I'm waiting on a Lemon Bristlenose Pleco. Everyone is hiding now.

It's planted, I can use a few more lower plants in the front right.

1484091911839.jpg1484091921806.jpg

55 gallon Marineland. Came with hood, light and stand. Swapped light out for programmable LED. I use an extremely quiet (pretty much silent) canister filter.

Population is very peaceful, seven Zebra Danios, three Clown Loaches, a Betta (Elijah Blue) and a Mystery Snail, Dick. I'm waiting on a Lemon Bristlenose Pleco. Everyone is hiding now.

View attachment 293109View attachment 293110

Tank looks great, but a word of advice- clown loaches will outgrow that tank, eat the snail, and possibly eat the zebra danios as well. (And could potentially eat the betta- never heard of it happening but I've heard of them eating giant danios which are larger than bettas)

View attachment 293109View attachment 293110

Wow, that is a really neat set-up! The water looks so clear!! Aren't you really understocked though for that large if a capacity?

Also, is that the kit, but you just upgraded some of the stuff? How much did it cost?

Thank you so much! I am pretty new to most fish, and I am now constantly learning!!

Wow, that is a really neat set-up! The water looks so clear!! Aren't you really understocked though for that large if a capacity?

Also, is that the kit, but you just upgraded some of the stuff? How much did it cost?

Thank you so much! I am pretty new to most fish, and I am now constantly learning!!

Except for the loaches yes it's quite understocked. Clown loaches get around 12 inches long, sometimes larger- I wouldn't recommend them for that size tank (y) The zebra loaches I mentioned as an idea are similar to them, but stay much smaller.

My LFS where I got them said they are a small breed and should not exceed 6" and grow slowly. I originally got the snail to be a treat for them, but they have ignored him and he's getting big fast. I quickly got attached to him though so if they start paying attention to him I'll evacuate him to my home office tank (20 gallon).

I'm stocking slowly as I decide. It's not a bad thing to be under stocked.

I do a 10% water change and clean algae each weekend. Water quality has been stable so I check it every other week for now.

Oh, I'm not sure on the price, I forget offhand. I think maybe around $250 on sale. I upgraded the light. It was $85. Filter was not part of the deal. The canister one was $100- $150 I think

Keep your eyes out for a 60 gallon tank/stand combo... I've had 55 gallon tanks for years, and there's nothing wrong with them, but I found the extra height to the tank to be a visual plus. It's the same exact footprint as a 55 (48" x 13"), only taller.

Petsmart had a 60 gal. tank/stand/glass hood w/LED lighting on sale over the holidays. I put a canister filter on it (a Cascade 1200) and a 250w heater, and I'm really happy with what I've got.

Colorful fish, I could also recommend Boesmani Rainbowfish, and Parkinsons Rainbowfish. They're good community fish, and are colorful, especially once they get past juvenile. Get at least 5 or 6, they're a shoaling fish. They're my 'centerpiece fish' with Serpae Tetras and Black Skirt Tetras.

Happy tank hunting!!

My LFS where I got them said they are a small breed and should not exceed 6" and grow slowly.

Clown loaches aren't bred in captivity except for rare accidents and hormone injections at fish farms. They certainly aren't selectively bred. There's no such thing as a "small breed".

Taller can be tougher to clean. Standing on a step ladder I can just about reach the bottom with my arm plunged in up to the shoulder. Maybe if you have a lower stand. Just something to think about

Taller can be tougher to clean. Standing on a step ladder I can just about reach the bottom with my arm plunged in up to the shoulder. Maybe if you have a lower stand. Just something to think about

I believe it's 50L x 19H x 12 Deep but maybe I'm wrong. I do have a somewhat lower stand too. Thank you for your imput!

The 60 Gallon is 48L x 13D x 24H. The stand is a few inches taller than my old stand, but I can still reach the bottom, though most of the time, when messing around at the bottom, it's after water is drained during a water change, otherwise you're in up to your 'pits'. Nothing about this tank that makes me say, "Man I wish I didn't get this tank."

I'd say get what you really want to look at... because 90% of the time that's what you're doing... looking at it. You can improvise for the other 10% :) My maintenance is no worse than with a 55 Gal.. BTDT. :D

It's just a small difference in height. Bigger is generally better but the difference in stocking will be negligible. Get whichever one you like (y)

Keep your eyes out for a 60 gallon tank/stand combo... I've had 55 gallon tanks for years, and there's nothing wrong with them, but I found the extra height to the tank to be a visual plus. It's the same exact footprint as a 55 (48" x 13"), only taller.

Petsmart had a 60 gal. tank/stand/glass hood w/LED lighting on sale over the holidays. I put a canister filter on it (a Cascade 1200) and a 250w heater, and I'm really happy with what I've got.

Colorful fish, I could also recommend Boesmani Rainbowfish, and Parkinsons Rainbowfish. They're good community fish, and are colorful, especially once they get past juvenile. Get at least 5 or 6, they're a shoaling fish. They're my 'centerpiece fish' with Serpae Tetras and Black Skirt Tetras.

Happy tank hunting!!

Wow thank you so much!! Your advice is extremely helpful!!!

Back
Top Bottom