55 gallon Community Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently got my hands on a 55 gallon tank. I am trying to figure out my plans for it now. I have never had a tank so big so I am excited to really be able to have several different kinds of fish. What do you guys think of this for stocking?

2 Angels
5 Tiger Barbs (I have read in groups they are rarely nippers)
5 Swordtails
6 corys
5 platys
5 tetras (not sure which kind)
4 otos

I definetely want 2 Angels. All the rest can stay or go. My goal is to have a really nice looking mostly peaceful community tank with lots of color and pretty patterns. It will also be planted.

I think the combination sounds great. I would be lerry of the tiger barbs but other than that I so nothing wrong, just don't add them all at once, do it over a period of time.

Tiger Barbs with Angels could be a disaster even with a school. Watch them very closely. For your livebearers, remember to have at least 2 females for every male, preferably 3 or more. This reduces the males' aggression towards each other, other species, and gives the females a break. And finally, be careful with the Tetras. I have some Rummynose which are supposedly one of the most peaceful Tetra species, and even they still nip at my male Betta occasionally and harass him. If you get the more nippy species like White or Black Skirts they will probably shred your Angels' fins. I've witnessed it myself at fish stores.

I recently got my hands on a 55 gallon tank. I am trying to figure out my plans for it now. I have never had a tank so big so I am excited to really be able to have several different kinds of fish. What do you guys think of this for stocking?

2 Angels
5 Tiger Barbs (I have read in groups they are rarely nippers)
5 Swordtails
6 corys
5 platys
5 tetras (not sure which kind)
4 otos

I definetely want 2 Angels. All the rest can stay or go. My goal is to have a really nice looking mostly peaceful community tank with lots of color and pretty patterns. It will also be planted.

I would recomend either a larger school of tigers or none at all. In a school that small you may not be able to control the aggression.

The stocking looks fine except for the tiger barbs. On ocassion people manage to keep the two without issues but as the tigers age and mature and when a big male becomes a dominant there can be alot of problems. Angels feelers and long fins make great targets. I've kept angels over 30+ years and have 12 currently. Were it me I'd select a different type of fish or get a large group or tetras or rasboras to make a visual statement. One other thing is in a larger tank swords, especially males can get 5+ inches and have a pretty heavy bio-load. I have 2- 55g tanks and run Fluval 406's on them, which gives very good filtration with alot of room for media.

So what would you guys recommend instead of the tiger barbs? Something with color that is interesting to look at.

Also what type of Tetra would you recommend?

I like them but my husband hates the shape of Rainbow fish.

Maybe you could just do a school of Congo tetras? They're very colorful. At first they aren't but they color up in a few months. They get large large for tetras as well. Make sure of pu decide on them get males. But keep a few females so they color up better

Oh Danios might be good! I always forget about those! What sized school for the danios?

Are Congo Tetras hard to get? I really only have a Petco close.

Would Neon Tetras be too small with everything else in there?

Oh Danios might be good! I always forget about those! What sized school for the danios?

Are Congo Tetras hard to get? I really only have a Petco close.

Would Neon Tetras be too small with everything else in there?

At least 6 danios.

Cardinal tetras are bigger and hardier than neons IMO and they are extremely colorful. They school pretty tight and really stand out when you have a good sized school.

So what would you guys recommend instead of the tiger barbs? Something with color that is interesting to look at.

Also what type of Tetra would you recommend?

I just got a school of long finned red serpae tetras and love them. They have orange, red, black,,and white all wrapped into 1 pretty little fish.

Serpaes aren't a good choice for keeping with angels as even in larger groups they tend to be nippy especially with angels feelers and long fins. Danios are sometimes nippy sometimes not so you never quite know what your going to get with them. They are highly active tho which can bother some angels and shy fish.

Back
Top Bottom