55 Gallon Filter - Enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nnacho528

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would an aqueon 55/75 filter be sufficient for a 55 gallon tank?

IMO look for a filter that does minimum manufacture rating of 75gal because they tend to overrate.

It could be okay yes, but that's entirely dependent on what you put in the tank.

I still think an AC 110 would be better, it'll let you have less constraints on choosing your fish.

Ok thanks, I was wondering about an Emperor 400, but the tank is going to be right next to my desk, is the Emperor 400 and the Aquacleae filters noisy?

I don't know about Emperors, so I can't say.

But IME AquaClears are quiet. It will take a little bit to start them up so there will be some noise from the water gurgling as the impeller starts the filter, but other than that its very quiet.

Emperors are pretty loud. Aquaclears are definitely more quiet than Emperors IME.

Your most quiet option would be a canister, if budget allows.

Tank Filtration

Good morning nn...

IMO, your filtration is sufficient if you're willing to replace half the water in your tank every week. Again, IMO, if you do large water changes every week you don't need to over filter your tank.

I keep large, planted tanks and change a minimum of half the water in them every 6 to 7 days. I can use smaller filters, because the water changes maintain safe water conditions. The filters are simply filtering water that's already clean.

Don't rely on filter equipment to keep the water pure, the filters are just taking in very toxic water and replacing it with water that's a little less toxic. The only way you can keep the water in your tank pure is to replace a lot of it frequently.

The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier your plants and fish will be.

B

so would 1 ac 110 be enough? or should I get another smaller filter?

Thanks guys, now should I get anything else? ( such as a bubbler, powerhead, etc.)

Tank Filtration

so would 1 ac 110 be enough? or should I get another smaller filter?

Hello again nn...

A "rule of thumb" I use is to use a filter with a "Gallon per Hour" (gph) rating approximately six times the water volume of your tank. So, if you have a 55 G, then you need a filter rated at 330 (gph).

Again, this size filter is plenty if you follow an aggressive water change schedule. That means removing and replacing a minimum of half the tank water every week. Not skipping a week because the water looks good or I'm too busy. Your fish and plants are living in an unflushed toilet and toxic substances in the water build up every day and aren't removed by a filter. The dirty water must be removed and replaced with clean, treated water regularly.

High end filtration and multiple filters can never replace large and frequent water changes. But, an aggressive water change schedule will replace extra filters.

B

Thanks, the gph of the fiter is 500, and o read about all these powerheads and stuff, do i need one?

You won't with that filter. That thing moves a lot of water. LOL. It's a great filter.

BBradbury, I don't think anyone here was suggesting that one could add filtration to skimp on maintenance. Even if I put a good sized canister on a 55 I'd still recommend 50% weekly water changes. I just really believe the the manufacturer ratings are garbage most of the time and cannot be trusted, so I always recommend buying a filter that is overrated for the tank.

check out petmountain.com its a great website to buy cheap....I just got a aquaclear 70 and a API test kit for 58 bucks free shipping. the aquaclear 70 at the pet store in my town was 79.99 by itself

Back
Top Bottom