55 gallon filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I am thinking about upgrading from my 10 gallon to a 55 gallon tank soon, and I was wondering about filtration for it. I am planning on getting the aqueon deluxe aquarium kit 55. (I know, the kits aren't great) I know the filter included is inadequate. (It is rated for 90 gallons, 400 gph). Could I run this filter along with another filter, or should I replace it altogether? What filters do you guys recommend? Also, what is the ratio of gph per gallon? (I've heard 4x from some people, and then 10x from others, and I would like some clarification on this).

Would an aquaclear 110 with two sponge filters both rated for 80 gallons be good? Would 2 Fluval C Series Filters work? I would appreciate any feedback! (y)

Thank You! :thanks:

Personally I don't like HOB's and run Fluval 406 canister filters on my 2- 55g tanks.

I've used Fluval canisters since the 80's and still use them today, so that says a lot. If you get one be sure to get a 06 model. A 306 or 406 for that size tank, although I prefer the 406 size. I think they are worth the price. Many like Eheim brand. I don't really go by a turnover per se. I prefer over filtration any day and also choose my filter size by what my stocking level is going to be. When I had goldies in the 55 I used the Fluval 406 and a big HOB fliter due to the heavy bio-load. So yes you can use both if you want without issue.

I've used Fluval canisters since the 80's and still use them today, so that says a lot. If you get one be sure to get a 06 model. A 306 or 406 for that size tank, although I prefer the 406 size. I think they are worth the price. Many like Eheim brand. I don't really go by a turnover per se. I prefer over filtration any day and also choose my filter size by what my stocking level is going to be. When I had goldies in the 55 I used the Fluval 406 and a big HOB fliter due to the heavy bio-load. So yes you can use both if you want without issue.

If I use the HOB filter included in the kit along with a canister and two sponge filters, would that set up work? (I might keep goldfish too).

Thanks for your help, by the way! (y)

That would work but you really don't need the sponge filters. Word of warning... goldies are messy, dirty fish. Mind you I love them but hate dealing with them in tanks especially when they get big like my fancies were at 8+ inches. I had 4 big guys per 55g tank and that was too much by far. They may be little when you start but they grow like weeds especially the first year. Not trying to tell you not to get them but if you do you have to clean the canister every 3-4 weeks depending on the goldies size and a 50% weekly water change is a must. When they get big 2 50% WC's are often needed to keep nutrient levels low. Just want to arm you with as much info as possible so you know what your getting into if you go that route.

Back
Top Bottom