55 gallon filtration system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitesurfjesus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently received a 55 gallon tank with a fluval 405 filtration system with cultured sand for a saltwater tank. I however do not want to do a salt water tank. Is this filter system going to pump too much water for a 55 gallon?? It shows for a 100-400 gallon capacity.

8-10 times your tank size is considered the ideal turnover I believe.

That's what I was thinking also. I was told that it'll pull too much bacteria out of the tank. But if I have live plants and do a good job on the fishless cycle I should be alright. Right?

That's what I was thinking also. I was told that it'll pull too much bacteria out of the tank. But if I have live plants and do a good job on the fishless cycle I should be alright. Right?

Ummm...no :ermm: I can't even work out how this would work...

Good filtration and a fIshless cycle (With or without plants) will ensure your fish have the best chance of surviving the often disastrous start up phase of fish tanks. Good job on doing your research on fishless cycling :)

So what I'm gathering is that the 55 gallon with a canister filtration system that can handle 100-400 gallons will be fine. I have a stable 29 gallon that uses a filter system for 2p-50 gallon tanks. Here is a picture of the 29 gallon.

Attachments

• image-4023884950.jpg
    image-4023884950.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 98
Also does the tank need an aeration system on it with that fluval canister filter system?

Also does the tank need an aeration system on it with that fluval canister filter system?

that filter should be fine for your 55 gallon tank

and do not need an aeration system unless you like how they look. as long as there is surface movement (and their should be from the outflow of the canister) their will be enough oxygen in the water for the fish.

Next question. . I want to do a flat rock pile but aso want to put some flat rocks o n the walls of the tank like shelves/clifs. Is there any good online places to buy such items.. if not what flat rocks would be aquarium safe if I find them at rock store???

Slate from a garden store is always a good bet. Buy broken pieces or make some. Maybe file the edge if too sharp. Use some aquarium safe 100% silicon and you can make a wall/cave as needed.

Cool. Thank you all for the help. I really appreciate it. As you all know some of the employees at the local pet store (petco) aren't this informative.

I also have a 55 gal with a Fluval 405. I have sand and live plants in there and I've been running this filter for several months now and love it! I haven't had any problems with it. I also have slate rocks in my tanks but I built my background myself out of syrofoam. It's not perfect but I like it and it keeps the weight down. Plus, my fish seem to love the caves.

Attachments

• my 55 gal aquarium.jpg
    my 55 gal aquarium.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 61
I also have a 55 gal with a Fluval 405. I have sand and live plants in there and I've been running this filter for several months now and love it! I haven't had any problems with it. I also have slate rocks in my tanks but I built my background myself out of syrofoam. It's not perfect but I like it and it keeps the weight down. Plus, my fish seem to love the caves.

You built the background? It looks very nice! It almost looks store bought.

Thanks. It was pretty easy and cheap but it just took awhile to do. I Googled it and found lots of videos on how to do it. I had a good time making it. It cost about $50 where the ones you buy cost about $200. Plus this way I could put ledges and caves where I wanted them and it's not heavy.

Slate or shale is safe. Also silica based sandstone(no calcium) is safe. You can check with white vinegear or miuriatic(sp) acid. Pour on rock, if it does not foam or bubble, it would be safe. OS.

I have a Fluval 406 with my 50 gal. Works great so far! I have a lot of plants but I am way understocked on fish but the filter handles the bioload really well so far. I haven't had any issues with ammonia or nitrites after I cycled.

Back
Top Bottom