55 Gallon Freshwater!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're laterally compressed. They don't need a ton of room to turn around. Just like angels they are much taller than wide. A 75 would be a better tank but I don't necessarily understand why a group couldn't go in a 55.
Also it isn't 55 per fish. If that was the case a group of 4 discus would need a 220 gallon tank which is ridiculous.

It's 50 per fish, minimum, and they are like angels except they are round not triangular. Because of the shape, an angel can move around tight spaces easier than a full grown discus.

My point being he would need a wider tank with more room for them to move around in than a skinny 55g.

I agree with you that a 75 would be a better tank but a group of small discus in a 55 would work for the time being. I disagree with the 50 per fish though. In a 75 a group of 6 would be fine.
My point is these fish aren't long and thick, they're tall and thin like angels. They also don't swim a ton, being quite content at just chilling. A bigger tank will make them look nicer but a 55 would be an ok starting tank for discus.

See, you're talking juvies while I'm talking full grown adults. Big difference. Not to mention how many times do we see posts where people say they will get a larger tank when the time comes? We know 8 out of 10 times that larger tank never gets bought. Not saying the OP is one of those people, but starting him out right avoids him becoming a "I'll do it right when the time comes" statistic.

I do agree with you there. Being a sw person I see tons of posts about tangs and upgrading later. I guess the main thing we can agree on is a 75 would be much better for these fish :)

So many opinion.

Just as I said before, I can drop discus and just go with Silver Dollars. Cheaper anyway and less maintenance. I am still on the fence about it because as I said before I talked to people that are very experienced discus owners that have fully grown Discus in 55 gallon tanks, but not a lot. So I don't know!

No matter what anyone says a bigger tank is going to always be better regardless of what fish you put into it.

As far as the Tangs go, I am in some disagreement with even that! There has been studies that have proven that some Tangs do well in an environment that some hobbyist wouldn't even consider. They concluded that Tangs in a smaller tank vs Tangs in a larger tank are about the same in terms of growth and stress levels. Meaning it's all about the swim space vs the tank size, but they also agree you don't want to keep a Tang in a very small tank. Most people would assume a 100 gallon tank is to small for a Yellow Tang, but many websites and experts say that it's just what they need.

Jay Hemdal Live: Beware the Tang Police!

Arrested by the Tang Police: I Refuse to Confess! | Coral Magazine

I am also in disagreement about the 50 gallon PER FISH as that is not the way of looking at tank a minimal.

Tank Minimal is what the animal would need in order to live comfortably with enough swim space. So if I were to add 4 discus in the 50 gallon tank without anything to obstruct their swim space, they would be fine. Now if we start adding decorations and plants your swim space gets less and less. Thus you would need a slightly larger tank to make up for the lost swim space. So a 55 would allow for the make up of lose swim space if I were to space out the plants and decorations accordingly. Adding three more Discus would take up very minimal swim space for the animal and has no effect in swim space as they can simply move out of one another way, or swim together. Plus being Discus are a social fish, it would only increase their health as only having one would not be healthy for the animal at all.

All in all, I agree with one article. If your fish has shown no sign of stress and is eating and swimming accordingly and it lives as long as it's counterparts in the wild, than how can we know for sure your fish is not happy? As hobbyist it is our job to give our fish the best possible environment money can afford, but I also believe some people lose sight of what is good for the animal and only go for what would make themselves happy. If a bigger tanks makes you happy, then go for it.

Many people have told me Discus are fine in a 55 for their full life of 10 or so years. I have known people with Discus in a 55 that have kept them successfully with them fully grown and happy and healthy looking. So in reality would four of them in a 55 be unhealthy for them? So much evidence form my end says no and in fact is just what the doctor ordered for only a SMALL community of them.

Right now I have two Tangs in a 55 gallon tank. I have a Yellow Tang, and a Yellow Eye Tang. I bought the fish to get them out of the small tank the other owner had them in (20 gallon). I rescued the poor Tang that was nipped to hell, and his poor fins were almost gone. In my 55 gallon he has grown bigger, stronger, and ALL of his fins are grown back. If my Tang was stressed like SO many people say he would be, than explain the growth and the fins growing back. You need a happy fish in order for their fins to grow back. His fins were not grown back for many months because of the stressful tank environment he was in before, now he is one healthy good looking fish.

So is there tank requirements? OF COURSE there is! The example would be my Yellow Tang. He was not happy and not healthy in a 20 gallon tank. So there is minimal requirements and that is why they are in place. To keep idiots from buying poor fish that would end up being to BIG for the tank. Right now I am in the middle of doing a 120 gallon tank to get my Tangs into a bigger tank. That is why i am having a 55 opening up I want to do a freshwater in.

Last edited:
On the tangs I just feel bad when I see them in smaller tanks. I've seen them in public aquaria where they can really stretch their fins and man do they swim. Same with big angels and triggers. But yeah going with the biggest tank is always best. I looked up some 55s with discus and they had some nice tanks with big ones in them so idk either haha.

I think with almost any fish if they had the space they would swim more. Seeing Discus in the Newport Aquarium in Kentucky was a little different as they had a huge tank but always stayed in one spot.

Just to let you guys know, I am dropping the 55 and going with the 75 for this project. I have for the longest time thought that a 75 gallon was 21in wide, and being my stand is only 20in wide it wouldn't work. Today I learned that a 75 gallon is only 18 1/2in wide and 21in tall. In other words, my custom stand would be perfect for a 75 gallon. Wish I knew that sooner, don't know why I always thought they were 21in wide. LOL

Last edited:
I've seen wild discus housed in a 220 with a full grown angel fish and rays as well. They were fine. I don't think I'll ever get into discus, just because I don't care to change water that much.

On the other end of the spectrum, Kissing gourami (which don't care about their water relative to discus) supposedly grow to 12" but the profile I read on Oscarfish.com was of a 9" 23 YEAR old kissing gourami. Just because a fish doesn't top out doesn't mean it is stunted. you should always be prepared for maximum length, but that doesn't mean you'll get it.

I have a kissing gourami in a 55 that's probably about 4" now. We'll see how big he gets, but he won't be stunted.

Drop the silver dollars.

Back
Top Bottom