55 gallon freshwater angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay. I'm not really looking for them to breed, you see. I'd prefer that they live happily in this 55 with their neighbors. But I'm keeping the 29 ready just in case.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Heaters mine is just a basic 200w heater but filtration I have two aquaclear 50's on it I like aquaclear their reliable and allow for a ton of space for filter media as far as Hob filters go I just got in a marineland c360 canister filter that u will be changing out the aquaclear filters for this afternoon I guess I will see how that goes but I would advise filtration that has a lot of room for filter media(bio media) and maybe a little less current/gph b/c in my experience the angels do not like a lot of current in the tank.. I feel that the gph rule is not as important when you have a filter with a large bio capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Angelfish have a hierarchy when it comes to the "school" and there will always be a leader and followers. This is why you need to either have drastic size differences or buy all the Angels at the same time if they are going to be roughly the same size. This has nothing to do with the fish pairing off for breeding. Males and females will pair off with the ones they "like the best" when in a community situation. Generally, it's the dominant male that the ladies go for but that's not always the case. This brings up another issue: When you do get a pairing for breeding ( which is different than pairing for companionship), the fish can ( and usually) wreck havoc in the tank as they want no other fish to be near their spawning site. This is when the other fish start getting injured or die from the stress and attacks. The only way to ensure their will not be any of this is to create a gender only situation. This means getting larger fish that can be identified ( as best as possible) or be willing to remove either the pair or all the other fish from the main tank once the pair is confirmed. If you are willing to do option 2 then you can get your smaller fish and let them grow up together. Adding new fish to smaller Angelfish in schools is also easier and you should have about 6-8 months of non pairing time to enjoy the fish. ( Breeding age starts at about 8-10 months old and a dime sized fish is about 2 months old +/-.)

As for tankmates, I've had Angels grow up in a tank with schools of cardinals so that when they were large enough to eat them, they didn't due to the familiarity with them for such a long time. This again, is different than trying to add smaller cardinals in with adult Angels from the start. ( That's most likely not going to end well.) It becomes more of an issue of when you are adding than what you are adding.
Most of your longer Tetras ( i.e. Rummy nose. Penguin, Blues, silvertips) should do well with Angels and are less "nippy" than the other Tetras. Not sure I would add the Buenos Aires Tetras as they are known to be more aggressive Tetras and get larger than the ones I mentioned. Add to the list hatchetfish, Rams and other smaller , non aggressive S.A. cichlids and certain catfish if you want to do a South American themed tank. (Keep in mind with Cory cats to get domesticated ones over wild ones as the wilds prefer a cooler temp than you should be keeping the Angels.) If not, Gouramis, Rainbowfish and longer shaped Rasboras will also do fine with Angels. Even some of the lesser aggressive Barbs (i.e Checkerboard, Rosey, Gold) will do fine with Angels so you do have a lot of choices. The general rule when picking fish is to not get ones that will fit in the other ones mouths. If they can be eaten, they probably will get eaten. ;) This is why adding taller/wider fish like the Diamond, lemon or Serpae tetras are usually recommended as tankmates.

Hope this helps (y)

Wow, Andy, that post was awesome! Thank you so much!

I'm going to let any cories or other schools grow to 2 inches before I add angels.

The social information you shared is wonderful! I'm really looking forward to these fish.

My local shop is a mom and pop store with a great freshwater selection. They've been around 25 years, I'm lucky there. I can get fish there that are acclimated to my local water.

I might do emperor, penguin, or red serpae. They also carry those barbs. I have time to think about it, and thank you for the clarification on how to choose! I had read the same about the buenos aires.
I also like celebes rainbows, which they always have. :)

Do you know any breeders for gbrs or angels?

Wow, Andy, that post was awesome! Thank you so much!

I'm going to let any cories or other schools grow to 2 inches before I add angels.

The social information you shared is wonderful! I'm really looking forward to these fish.

My local shop is a mom and pop store with a great freshwater selection. They've been around 25 years, I'm lucky there. I can get fish there that are acclimated to my local water.

I might do emperor, penguin, or red serpae. They also carry those barbs. I have time to think about it, and thank you for the clarification on how to choose! I had read the same about the buenos aires.
I also like celebes rainbows, which they always have. :)

Do you know any breeders for gbrs or angels?

There are some fellow AAers breeding GBRs and I am doing Angels myself as well. There are other AAers also doing Angels if you want from here or you can do Aquabid or your local store may also be getting home grown fish. There is also Ebay. I just look at where the breeders are and try to stay with ones i can go and pick up my fish so I can see what's what before I buy. ;)
As for the Buenos Aires tetras, we used to call them B.A. Tetras. The B.A. stood for Bad As* lol. They were more a specialty fish for certain customers. You should be fine with the ones you've mentioned. The celebes rainbows are one of my favs as well. :D

Glad you have a Mom & Pop to deal with. Support them and I'm sure they will help you tremendously in return. (y)

Keep us posted (y)

If you live in the US look up Yunite for rams. I'm currently breeding rams and angels.

I keep 3 adult angels with Various tetras, bristle nose plecos, platys and other community fish. I have never had a problem with angels going after cardinals, just add them at the same time and you should be fine.Todays tank bred angel usually lack predatory instinct but sometimes you can get a real bully. Angels are actually rather docile in my experience. I would love to see pictures when you have it all set-up! I saw you mention serape tetras above, they are usually a bad choice with angels as they will nip the angels to death. Just letting you know.(y) Good luck!:)

Thanks, everyone! I'm in Ohio. I'll definitely show you once I have it going. Serpaes - noted!

http://www.germanbluerams.com here is a good site to buy high quality rams from for a reasonable price. They're pretty much out of stock of everything but they should be getting more soon.

Thank you! I have to wait awhile anyway, so it is perfectly okay that they don't have stock right now.

Do those of you who said you breed rams or angels carry the blue/electric blue types as well?

I'm breeding gold and blue rams. I haven't found electric rams yet.

There are some fellow AAers breeding GBRs and I am doing Angels myself as well. There are other AAers also doing Angels if you want from here or you can do Aquabid or your local store may also be getting home grown fish. There is also Ebay. I just look at where the breeders are and try to stay with ones i can go and pick up my fish so I can see what's what before I buy. ;)
As for the Buenos Aires tetras, we used to call them B.A. Tetras. The B.A. stood for Bad As* lol. They were more a specialty fish for certain customers. You should be fine with the ones you've mentioned. The celebes rainbows are one of my favs as well. :D

Glad you have a Mom & Pop to deal with. Support them and I'm sure they will help you tremendously in return. (y)

Keep us posted (y)

Omg I wish I didn't already have six angels, Andy, I would LOVE to buy some of your fry.

Sent from my iPhone

Omg I wish I didn't already have six angels, Andy, I would LOVE to buy some of your fry.

Sent from my iPhone

That's okay, I don;t have too many I am willing to part with at the moment anyway. ;) (I'm saving them for the next generation of breeders. )
But I'm sure by the time I have some for sale, you will have another tank to fill. :whistle::lol::ROFLMAO: (y) :D

That's okay, I don;t have too many I am willing to part with at the moment anyway. ;) (I'm saving them for the next generation of breeders. )
But I'm sure by the time I have some for sale, you will have another tank to fill. :whistle::lol::ROFLMAO: (y) :D

We're at six right now... Working in a 50 tall... Omg. Stupid multiple tank syndrome.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm getting eco-complete substrate. :-D
I looked for turface mvp online last night but wasn't able to find single 50 pound bags.

Today, I cut myself some driftwood and now I'm preparing to scrub it.

I have painted the back, four times haha. I used an interior spotlight to find thin spots in the paint. I then added the eco-complete and photographed my hardscape. Next, I filled it half-way and planted it with my plants that had been waiting in my son's fancy goldfish tank!

I then finished filling the tank - lots of bucket carrying! I added the new Marineland Bio-wheel penguin 350, with seeded filter media, and the heater. Then I installed 3 honey gourami, 1 temporary sparkling gourami, and 10 wee molly fry.

Back
Top Bottom