55 Gallon Goldfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My son and I decided to share tanks and cut down on all the varied ones we had.
This means that we started our first 55 - joy! This is our biggest yet.

We have 2 telescope goldfish in it, and are quarantining 1 more telescope and 1 lionhead.

There is also a long-finned albino bristlenose pleco.

We have pool filter sand, real plants, and a small, smooth cave.

Please let me know if there are any large ornaments you know of that are extremely soft/rounded.

Otherwise, they will just have plants - I can hide wood for the pleco in that cave.

Thanks!

Sounds like your off to a great start! Just be careful with the pleco & the goldies- plecos are known for snacking on goldies slimecoats at night which can cause a host of problems for the goldies. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask! :)

I need to borrow a camera - mine is broken.

Thanks for your replies!

BN are *supposedly* safe in regards to slimecoat. That would be horrifying. I plan to keep her well fed...

I am going to get pics this week!
My black demekin had some swim bladder flare up but is fine now.
How do I prepare and feed them fruit? What kind?
I have hikari goldfish pellets and algae wafers, so I definitely need to diversify.
Also, how do I work on hand-feeding?
Thanks!

CoryFan said:
I am going to get pics this week!
My black demekin had some swim bladder flare up but is fine now.
How do I prepare and feed them fruit? What kind?
I have hikari goldfish pellets and algae wafers, so I definitely need to diversify.
Also, how do I work on hand-feeding?
Thanks!

If you use a veggie clip that will help.
Shelled Frozen/defrosted Peas ( no clip needed )
These help with constipation.
Orange slice ( skin on ) very messy, feed day before tank maintenance.
Zucchini
Romaine
Spinach

Float Anacharis Plants, they enjoy eating those.

You can also pop a piece of frozen broccoli in a cup of water microwave it about three minuets. Let it cool and just drop it in. My three LOVE IT! Have you looked into making gel food for them? One of my moors struggles with swim bladder issues as well. Since switching over to gel food I have seen a big improvement. This is where I found ideas for recipes.
http://thegab.org/index.php?option=....php&f=3&sid=613255aa4e2cb27892e9381b4b904ab6

Coursair said:
If you use a veggie clip that will help.
Shelled Frozen/defrosted Peas ( no clip needed )
These help with constipation.
Orange slice ( skin on ) very messy, feed day before tank maintenance.
Zucchini
Romaine
Spinach

Float Anacharis Plants, they enjoy eating those.

Thanks! My son is excited about the orange. 

My Fish Babies. said:
You can also pop a piece of frozen broccoli in a cup of water microwave it about three minuets. Let it cool and just drop it in. My three LOVE IT! Have you looked into making gel food for them? One of my moors struggles with swim bladder issues as well. Since switching over to gel food I have seen a big improvement. This is where I found ideas for recipes.
http://thegab.org/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=140&jfile=viewforum.php&f=3&sid=613255aa4e2cb27892e9381b4b904ab6

Oh, thank you! I will definitely read up on this! 

I finally got a picture. I will get more after work.

Attachments

• image-3094306753.jpg
    image-3094306753.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 91
The 2 Lionheads.

Attachments

• image-2807025136.jpg
    image-2807025136.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2267619326.jpg
    image-2267619326.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 80
So I now have 2 telescopes, 2 lionheads. I am thinking about keeping just 1 telescope so I can have a fantail.
I am moving the pleco to another tank.

You could get away with another goldie but you will need to step up your water change schedule to atleast 2x a week. What would happen to the other telescope if you choose to only keep 4 fish?

jlk said:
You could get away with another goldie but you will need to step up your water change schedule to atleast 2x a week. What would happen to the other telescope if you choose to only keep 4 fish?

Hi
I am debating because I have 2 week long vacations every year. That makes me hesitant to commit someone else to my water change.
I am thinking about doing a 30 gallon upstairs too.
I would be looking for a new home first, that was excellent, for this fish, if I didn't keep it.
I could also look for a 75 gallon tank... but that's a lot of changing.
Decisions. Lol

By the way, jlk, I got a filter that moves 500 gallons per hour! I am so excited! My air pump moves 84 or so.

Lots of options! They would be fine for a week vacation. The tank just may be a bit dirty when you got home. :)

This fish is so adorable I can't stand it!

Attachments

• image-2880989863.jpg
    image-2880989863.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1290393414.jpg
    image-1290393414.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom