55 gallon Mbuna tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm in the process of reorganising the stock in my two tanks and I think I can finally make a cichlid tank!

I'm going to be adding some slate and switching the gravel for black sand. I'm also going to add a new fluval 406 to add to the current ac 70. My pH is around 8 so that shouldn't be a problem and since the tank currently is lightly stocked I do have a bit of bio filtration already in place.

As of right now here's what I'm thinking for stock.
5 red zebras
5 yellow labs
5 maingano
5 of another species looking for recommendations.

For the above species I'll try to acquire 1 male of each and 4 females.

How does this sound to all of you?

I'm in the process of reorganising the stock in my two tanks and I think I can finally make a cichlid tank!

I'm going to be adding some slate and switching the gravel for black sand. I'm also going to add a new fluval 406 to add to the current ac 70. My pH is around 8 so that shouldn't be a problem and since the tank currently is lightly stocked I do have a bit of bio filtration already in place.

As of right now here's what I'm thinking for stock.
5 red zebras
5 yellow labs
5 maingano
5 of another species looking for recommendations.

For the above species I'll try to acquire 1 male of each and 4 females.

How does this sound to all of you?

The red zebras "could" be a problem, they are known to be more aggresive than the others on your list. Although mine have been pretty good so far.

I would also recommend Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty cichlid).

Do you have a plan for all the holding females and fry, or just going to let nature run its course? 4 males and 16 females...you are going to have fry.

From my experience with mbunas, you just never know what'll happen in the tank until you put the fish in. I've always had to rearrange and re-home some fish to establish some peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't have a plan for the holding females. I will most likely let nature take over in that department. Should I consider a female only tank? I don't really want to have to deal with a bunch of cichlid fry.

As for aggression with the red zebras is there another species you'd recommend instead?

An all male tank can work too, as long as they're different types.
I usually get them small and let them grow not knowing whether male or female and let it take it's course.
I so happen to have two red zebras for a couple of years and no problems.

I would most likely be getting them small as well. Are you recommending that I get 20 different species? Have you ever had too much fry survive and overpopulated a tank?

I get about 15 small mbunas for a 55g mostly different and let them grow for two to three years, I then rehome them by either giving them away or selling them to people with bigger tanks only to start all over again, I'm on my third cycle now doing this, I simply don't have the room for a bigger tank but I truly enjoy growing these fish.
The fry from mating fish in the tank? I do have one that holds occasionally but I'm assuming if or when they hatch, instantly they become fish food.
It's tough to give you the answer you're looking for since there's never consistency in their behavior but I hope all this can help you out a bit.

If you do an all male tank you can do a few of the same type. There maybe some aggression, but without a female to compete for it is much less. Make sure you have enough structure and hiding places, then just monitor. Unfortunately there are no set rules and what works for some doesn't for others.

I don't think you get overrun with fry as most would not make it to adulthood. However it is tough on your females if they are in the tank holding eggs, trying to hide from the males. I believe it is hard on them physically as well, they don't eat for 3-4 weeks then spit the fry and before you know it they are holding again.
That's why I separate my females while holding and then let them recoup about a week or two after spitting the fry before they go back in with the males.

As I'm continuing my research I think I may have come up with another option.

Does six of each of the following sound like it would work?

Acei
Yellow lab
Maingano.

Overstocking a cichlid tank is good. But 20 is too many. I would recommend cutting down to 5 of 3 different species. It will be easier to manage water parameters and decrease your chances of a disease outbreak

Sorry but I mused your post pseudomugil. Are you recommending that I do the rusty cichlids instead of the acei? My lfs unfortunately doesn't have any in atm.

Back
Top Bottom