55 gallon overstocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

w1kk3d

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an opportunity to purchase 6 rare parva rainbow fish but want to make sure that my 5 gallon isn't overstocked. My current list:

5 glass cats
4 kuhli and 1 golden dojo loach
3 golden killifish
3 black phantom tetras
2 freshwater crabs
2 otos
1 dwarf gourami
1 red tailed shark
4 platys (may move them back to my sons tank)

Would bringing in 5-6 additional fish be too much? Not sure if this matters but my substrate s a mix of sand/fluorite, good amount of live plants and driftwood, fluval 405. Thanks in advance!

Its not too stocked, but you need to get rid of the shark IMO and upp the schools of tetras and loaches to make them happier before getting differant fish. JMO

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Its not too stocked, but you need to get rid of the shark IMO and upp the schools of tetras and loaches to make them happier before getting differant fish. JMO

NUNU I read on several sites (reference the shark) that it is RECOMMENDED to have one or many but never just a few for their happiness. So a lone shark would be fine? So the speculation goes....

Yes, the shark apparently does not get along with other sharks, especially when they get older. I may get a few more kuhli loaches but I understand that the dojo can be on is own.

Is the shark a juvenile or is it an adult? It will become territorial and agressive in that tabk eventually

I would speculate that fish just as people have certain personality traits. If the shark isn't openly aggressive toward it's tank mates I wouldn't worry too much. I had balas ( yea I know too small a tank) and a red tail and a albino rainbow plus other community fish in a 29 for many years. Everyone got along fine. No tattered fins or flesh wounds. I would say just keep an eye on him and if no problems don't worry about it!

Also got lucky again as have same shark load in my 46 and so far ( knock on wood ) everyone is happy. The only rebel rousing I had was the CAE and I got rid of him fast.

So realistically, how many more fish could I stock? Ideally, I would like to get 10 rainbow fish...

Back
Top Bottom