55 Gallon Restock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kayleyface

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my 55 gallon planted, community tank running for 3+ years and a good number of my fish are getting quite old and gradually dying (hopefully of old age since danios aren't known for living much past 3 years).

The tank originally started as a danio tank with 7 different species (ranging from under an 1" to 3") and was one of my favorites I've ever had.

Now I'm thinking ahead to restocking once the last few of my danios pass on. At that point I'll have:
3 pearl gourami (m:2f)
6 boesemani rainbow (3m:3f)
4 julii cory (also 3+ years old, used to be a school of nearly 20, but had bad velvet a while back :-/)
2 german blue rams (m:f bonded pair)

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates: <5, Ph: 7.2, Gh: 18ppm, WC: 25% every 5 days

I'm thinking a single school of another smallish fish ~2", but I'm not sure what. I would like to try something new. I've done danios of all varieties and blood fin tetra in the past. I am also thinking something more unusual. I have access to some incredible stock in my area and basically everything I want, I can usually locate at one of my LFS.

I'll also up my cory school, but I really would like a different species of cory, since my juliis are getting up there in age too. Would adding a different type of cory be sufficient? The cories I have are actually more active and less shy now than they were in a school of 20.

I realize I have some semi-aggressive fish, but I actually have never seen any aggression from either the gouramis or the gbr even while breeding. Also, the gouramis aren't bothered at all by the activeness of the rainbows or the danio, so I'm not opposed to something active.

Sorry, super long post, just want to be sure I posted all the relevant information.

bolivian rams
or rummy nose tetras
or neon tetras
black neon tetras
or lemon tetra

Harlequin rasboras are awesome and would stand fine with semi aggressive fish.
Cory's are always a safe and fun option I think if you went a similar sized species to your Julii they would be fine together and saves you having to add more jullii.

If you want more rainbow fish I highly recommend pseudomugil signifiers.
Couple of males to a bunch of females and they are awesome with their fin displays and dances.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had such a bad experience with tetras (several of my fish lost eyes when I added my bloodfins, they were immediately returned) that I'm always wary of them. Rummies have always seemed fun or I'm particularly drawn to Congos.

I never considered bolivian rams, but I did consider a pair of orange flash appistos briefly. I think I would rather go with something schooling, but I might change my mind (again)

Harlequin rasbora are a fish I have thought about many times, but never done. The only rasbora species I've kept is chilli rasbora in my nanotank and they're one of my all time favorites.

Pseudomugil signifiers are incredible (everything I've ever seen from the pseudomugil genus are just gorgeous fish). I'll have to do more research on them and see if my boast about my LFS was empty or not. I love the rainbows I have, and definitely would be interested in trying a different species.

For cories, I was possibly thinking panda cories. Any thoughts or suggestions? I've only ever had the julii.

Pandas are cute! I have a school of peppered cories and we love them. Not shy at all :)

Back
Top Bottom