55 Gallon Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Unfortunately, all my ideas for stocking a 55 gallon have been problematic. I accept all suggestions for what I can stock a newly cycled aquarium. However, i would love it if any suggestions would be on these guidelines:
1. Does not have a huge bio-load (translation: not a poop machine like the pleco.)
2. Not hard to care for
3. Optional: cheap?
4. All of the above

You could have a smallish Malawi setup with electric yellow labs and red zebras and other fish. Also could have blue dolphin (I think they are okay in there). Something like that cost around $8-$10. Not too much bioload. Pretty easy PWC every week.

You could do a bunch of different types of south american dwarf cichlids

Prices for them are usually 5$-20$

phoenixkiller said:
Guys, aren't cichlids really hard to care for??

South Americans can be slightly difficult at times, but Africans are typically very hardy and able to withstand slightly poorer water conditions so long as the ph is to their liking.

Unfortunately, all my ideas for stocking a 55 gallon have been problematic. I accept all suggestions for what I can stock a newly cycled aquarium. However, i would love it if any suggestions would be on these guidelines:
1. Does not have a huge bio-load (translation: not a poop machine like the pleco.)
2. Not hard to care for
3. Optional: cheap?
4. All of the above

TigerBarbs. They meet all of your criteria, plus their color variants get well along together and provide a ton of energy.

Idk, I don't see the trouble with caring for them, keep the ph 6.8 with some peat, temp. 82... But u just need regular water changes every week... I also use RO water so maybe that's a big factor

I agree they may be a little harder than some Africans though... The plus is more fish but not as big

phoenixkiller said:
Ok, what is needed to care for African cichlids?

A fully cycled tank, as well aragonite sand to boost the ph. Africans appreciate a large amount of rocks on their tanks and plants are very optional.

U could also do crushed coral with them...

Their ph should be 8.2ish and they need the rocks and caves to set up territory or they will kill each other

They're easy to care for, fun to watch but they haves few special needs. Just Hooke African cichlids if you need Any more info !

Oh, u could do an Oscar, prolly only fish you could keep... I seen 2togethet but usually will kill each other

They are pretty nasty mean, but are like tanks when it comes to living

U could run peat to give more natural water or not they won't really care as long as its a ph of 7.0 as a highest but RO or the dechlorinated water would work

And they'll eat pellets if u want so u don't have to feed them beef heart but it is really recommended

They get about 1foot but takes a while and have little teeth but good personality to watch(as far as fish go)

Any fish they could eat or even have a chance at it... They will eat

Peat is just like media, put it in a mesh bag the fish store sells and put it in a compartment in you filter if you have one

As far as price you could get a 3inch guy that will grow a lot for 8-$15 all they way up to big 8inch up to almost full grown for $50

Back
Top Bottom