55 Gallon stockign ideas...sigh...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShubunkinLover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i've got a glass box full of 55 gallons of water in my room completely empty...

I love planted aquaria but I feel it may be too much work that I really don't want to devote....I think I may rethink that though, I havent decided.

What can I do BESIDES a fully planted tank...i've considered a stingray, arowana, another pirahna tank....I just don't know.

I've got an Aquaclear 500 and a Fluval 304 on it....so filtration isn't a problem.

GAH someone give me ideas...

African biotope tank? Congo tetras, some sort of syndotis cat and a few other species in a dark tank would look really cool.

Bucktooth tetras are a cool, colorful, large and aggressive south american species that would be nice in a planted tank with some other aggressive fish (maybe a smaller SA cichlid)

Maybe a brackish tank with one of the larger puffers? I can't remember the name, but there's some sort of african puffer I think that gets huge, very cool fish.

I think an african biotope would be very nice, having one myself. fish such as a Polypterus or bicher, congo tetras, butterfly fish, Kribensis, and Ctenoptoma or bushfish. There are few to no fights, and they are really fun to watch. That is one Idea. HTH

The arowana will get huge. The stingray will actually need a tank larger than a 55 gal to be at its best. And if you do get a stingray, you won't be able to have plants in the tank and you need to be careful what you put in with them. They will eat what they can get to some fish will attack them.

Both of you may luv africans but i adore africans i dream about them, i have printed over 1000 sheets of paper on african cichlids, profiles, diseases, habitats, proabelms, Actaully Lake Malawi Mbuna are my very favorites but all Lake Malwiw Cichlid and Lake Tang, and Lake Victoria Cichlids, are the greatest.

Sry for hijacking the thread and to answer your question.

I would go for a Lake Malawi Mbuna Biotype setup!

JMHO

HTH

Shubunkin, what is your tap water like? That might inspire some specific suggestions if it is either hard or soft.

The arowana will get huge. The stingray will actually need a tank larger than a 55 gal to be at its best. And if you do get a stingray, you won't be able to have plants in the tank and you need to be careful what you put in with them. They will eat what they can get to some fish will attack them.

I kind of answered.

Fishyfanatic said:

I kind of answered.

Yeah, you did answer Fishy...just commenting on the cichlid fever. :D

Back
Top Bottom