55 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. One blood parrot stocks a 55g by itself and they don't belong with discus. If your looking at discus I'd suggest researching them a lot. They are very expensive so you don't want to stuff up and loose one. If your interested in koi what about fancy goldfish?

No. One blood parrot stocks a 55g by itself and they don't belong with discus. If your looking at discus I'd suggest researching them a lot. They are very expensive so you don't want to stuff up and loose one. If your interested in koi what about fancy goldfish?

According to what I read, 1 Blood Parrot can be kept in 30 gallons and 10 Gallons for each additional.

Blood Parrot Care Sheet | A club for owners of Parrot Cichlids

After reading about both the Blood Parrot and the Discus, I would not think about putting them in the same tank

Got my new tank. Working at cleaning it now. I think i am going to pick up some pool filter sand for it later this after noon. I cant afford a lid for it right away so, I think I'm going to have some plexi glass cut to make a temporary lid. I'll use my jigsaw to make cut outs for the filters and what not. I think i can use the light from my 40g breeder until i can afford to get the proper one. Cant wait to get it finished for my kids!

img_1918928_0_58bca7c5dac308a2ce6578ede1a77019.jpg

I had a friend with a 55 gallon with only a Black Knife in it, and they had to rehome the fish after so long as the poor thing really had no space to truly move. It "fit" but only like a large dog fits into a medium crate with little room to really swim. I would also suggest as well a much larger tank for this fish.

I have a 55 gallon with 2 blood parrots, one severum, and 8 blue acei. 2 small cats,(neither will go over 2.5 inches) and a pleco. The parrots give color, the severum is like a "pet" and changes colors which is neat, and the acei add movement and vibrancy with their colors purple/blue with yellow/white fins. I had a few aggression problems, but I have set the tank with large den like obstacles and hiding places so they all now interact peacefully even when they are breeding and seem more aggressive.

Last edited:
I had a friend with a 55 gallon with only a Black Knife in it, and they had to rehome the fish after so long as the poor thing really had no space to truly move. It "fit" but only like a large dog fits into a medium crate with little room to really swim. I would also suggest as well a much larger tank for this fish.

I am not getting the knife fish. I'm more than likely going to go with small schooling fish so I can have a good amount in the tank. I want lots of color for my kids. Looking for suggestions.

That stand is beautiful! Are you sure you want to paint it? You could maybe go with some black sand blasting sand (i've heard it works well and looks great- really makes the plants and fish colors pop!) instead of PFS. I hear it is inexpensive and you can find it at tractor supply stores. As for stocking- I'm having a hard time stocking my own 55 gallon. LOL! Liveaquaria.com has alot of good information on fish and invertebrates. I suggest looking into zebra nerite snails as part of your clean up crew. They are great little algae eaters, don't eat plants, don't breed in freshwater (they'll lay eggs but the eggs won't hatch in freshwater), and they look really pretty. :)

That stand is beautiful! Are you sure you want to paint it? You could maybe go with some black sand blasting sand (i've heard it works well and looks great- really makes the plants and fish colors pop!) instead of PFS. I hear it is inexpensive and you can find it at tractor supply stores. As for stocking- I'm having a hard time stocking my own 55 gallon. LOL! Liveaquaria.com has alot of good information on fish and invertebrates. I suggest looking into zebra nerite snails as part of your clean up crew. They are great little algae eaters, don't eat plants, don't breed in freshwater (they'll lay eggs but the eggs won't hatch in freshwater), and they look really pretty. :)

I had planned on painting the stand only before I saw it in person. I love how it looks as is :) I had another tank that I used black gravel in and I didnt care for the look. We want to go for a beach-ish look. I think the white PFS will make it look just right. I have a blue background to add to it as well. I will look into the nerite snails. We had mystery snails and they just kept multiplying.

ccross said:
I am not getting the knife fish. I'm more than likely going to go with small schooling fish so I can have a good amount in the tank. I want lots of color for my kids. Looking for suggestions.

I have a six year old and between my husband & us we have tanks at the moment.  My son & I like the same things you do, it seems!

We like our 55 with fancy goldfish the best! They move slow and their fins are beautiful - catching our eye - but they go all over the tank too.
They genuinely like each other and us. They do some funny things like pick up sand and spit it out.

If you have any questions, lots of people on here keep these too.

I also have & enjoy red serpae tetra (long-finned), Bolivian ram, platys, cory catfish, albino bristlenose pleco (long fin).

If you like any of these, I can give you more info on what they are like!

I have a six year old and between my husband & us we have tanks at the moment.  My son & I like the same things you do, it seems!

We like our 55 with fancy goldfish the best! They move slow and their fins are beautiful - catching our eye - but they go all over the tank too.
They genuinely like each other and us. They do some funny things like pick up sand and spit it out.

If you have any questions, lots of people on here keep these too.

I also have & enjoy red serpae tetra (long-finned), Bolivian ram, platys, cory catfish, albino bristlenose pleco (long fin).

If you like any of these, I can give you more info on what they are like!

My 5 year old has a 15gallon tank with a single Black Moor goldfish in her room. She absolutely loves that fish and I think he loves her just as much. Right at the glass when she is near by. Its cute listening to her talk to him when she thinks no one is listening :)

As for the 55, I want it as "lively" as possible. i want fish that wont hide if someone is looking into the tank. Fish with good color that the white sand will bring out. I love guppies because of all the colors but they breed like crazy and dont want that in this tank. Same with Platy's. I really like the Dario Dario but I dont know what else I could have with them in the tank.

ccross said:
I had planned on painting the stand only before I saw it in person. I love how it looks as is :) I had another tank that I used black gravel in and I didnt care for the look. We want to go for a beach-ish look. I think the white PFS will make it look just right. I have a blue background to add to it as well. I will look into the nerite snails. We had mystery snails and they just kept multiplying.

I'm so glad you aren't going to paint it! I think your beach idea will look great.

More fish for you to look into:

There is a little catfish called an upside down catfish (I think!) and it swims upside down.
As far as loaches- I've no experience with them- but I have heard alot of people talk about black khuli loaches.

I'm suggesting fish I have seen or heard about. Make sure to do your research so you know their compatibility and living requirements.

ccross said:
My 5 year old has a 15gallon tank with a single Black Moor goldfish in her room. She absolutely loves that fish and I think he loves her just as much. Right at the glass when she is near by. Its cute listening to her talk to him when she thinks no one is listening :)

As for the 55, I want it as "lively" as possible. i want fish that wont hide if someone is looking into the tank. Fish with good color that the white sand will bring out. I love guppies because of all the colors but they breed like crazy and dont want that in this tank. Same with Platy's. I really like the Dario Dario but I dont know what else I could have with them in the tank.

Moor: awesome!

Ok - I love these tetra. They are VERY red with tiny black and white accents. They are bottom-to-middle level schoolers so food stuck to my glass is the best way to get them eating. Unlike our guppies, they will not eat at the surface.
My school is 12 or so, a big school makes these peaceful and happy! Plus they sell them everywhere and they are not expensive and seem hardy.
They grow to 2" - if you like them, there are LOTS of similar tetra.
I want diamond tetra... their color comes out with age. They literally sparkle though - that would look neat with dark substrate!

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I think I want to get some Otto's and cory's for my bottom feeders. I still really like the Dario Dario's but have to do some research on them first. Its going to be at least a month before stocking unless I decide to do a fish in cycle.

Good luck! If you look under the fish profiles, some people have been discussing Dario Darios. Maybe they would be good to send any questions to.

Back
Top Bottom