55 Gallon Stocking, Advice Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamemu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!:)
So I recently set up a 55 gallon aquarium, which is currently stocked with the following;

10 molly fry
2 platys (1 male, 1 female, yes I know this is bad, but they get along pretty well as of now.)
6 black neon tetras

The whole reason I set up this aquarium was to provide a large space for the 10 mollies, But, seeing as I had this larger aquarium now, I wanted to take the opportunity to house some fish I had never owned before. I have a burning desire to own a dwarf gourami, and a school of bronze corydoras. I would also like to double the school of black neon tetras, to make them feel more comfortable and perform their natural behaviors. And also, if possible add a few more female platys just in case the male changes his mind about being peaceful. (That and there are so many different and beautiful platys I wish I could have them all!:lol:)

I have experienced over-stocking disasters in the past and REALLY do not want one to happen again. Is the following stocking too much for my 55 gallon aquarium? (Which is filtered by a Tetra whisper EX70, if that helps.)

10 mollies
12 black neon tetras
4 platys
1 dwarf gourami
7 bronze corydoras
2 mystery snails

Your advice is much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read my post!:fish1::)

Hello everyone!:)
So I recently set up a 55 gallon aquarium, which is currently stocked with the following;

10 molly fry
2 platys (1 male, 1 female, yes I know this is bad, but they get along pretty well as of now.)
6 black neon tetras

The whole reason I set up this aquarium was to provide a large space for the 10 mollies, But, seeing as I had this larger aquarium now, I wanted to take the opportunity to house some fish I had never owned before. I have a burning desire to own a dwarf gourami, and a school of bronze corydoras. I would also like to double the school of black neon tetras, to make them feel more comfortable and perform their natural behaviors. And also, if possible add a few more female platys just in case the male changes his mind about being peaceful. (That and there are so many different and beautiful platys I wish I could have them all!:lol:)

I have experienced over-stocking disasters in the past and REALLY do not want one to happen again. Is the following stocking too much for my 55 gallon aquarium? (Which is filtered by a Tetra whisper EX70, if that helps.)

10 mollies
12 black neon tetras
4 platys
1 dwarf gourami
7 bronze corydoras
2 mystery snails

Your advice is much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read my post!:fish1::)

Always a good general rule of thumb is for every inch of fish there needs to be an inch of water ex: if your fish is two inches as an adult then you need two gallons of water. I would check out the specs of each fish and see what there adult size is and if all of the fish you are putting in there, there adult size doesn’t exceed 55” then you should be fine. Also make sure you do regular water changes the more fish you put in because there will be more waste

IMO, your tank would be maxed out not overstocked. That being said, I think you need a second EX70. Your filtration should create 10-15x tank turnover an hour.... especially on a maxed out tank stock. You should also do a weekly 40-50% water change.

The inch of fish per gallon rule is highly inaccurate. To many variables. If you want to do things right......know the fish you plan to keep and their requirements.

If you don't want an overstocked tank I'd suggest some sort of plan for all the livebearer fry you are going to have. Either a fish big enough to pick fry off without bothering the other fish or finding a store/hobbyists willing to take them.

Back
Top Bottom