55 Gallon Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildcat07

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am revitalizing a classroom 55 gallon tank that another teacher had with my class. We had some ideas about what fish the kids want and I have come up with a list of what I am prepared to buy tomorrow (great sale at petsmart).

6 Mollies (2 M 4F)
6 Danio
10 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Angelfish
1 Pleco (already inherited he is 8-10")

Does anyone see any issues with this set up? Or do you have any suggestions of something better/alternatives? The kids want at least one species of livebearer (I would prefer to not have a lot of fry, hence the angelfish).

Thanks!

That list seems fine, but I'd do 1 male x 3 females simply because 2 males with only 2 females, well the females are going to literally be pestered non stop. The 1 to 3 gives 2 females a rest at a time. Good call on the angelfish! Maybe rethink the idea of the danio's also. They are zippy and can be nippy with angels. Think about some type of tetra, just not neon's as they would be on the angels menu. Lemon tetra's might be nice, cardinals, and rummy nose also work well with angels. Don't be discouraged by how Lemon tetra's look in the store. They are generally stressed and washed out. Once settled in the turn a nice translucent yellow body color with dark brighter yellow fins, and their upper iris is red. And they would also help with population control!

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I'll increase to 8 mollies, and look at some different tetra options. Appreciate it and will let you know how it goes.

Have you cycled the tank? And are you buying all these fish at once? If I were you rehome the pleco and get a smaller one like bristle nose or clown.

Transferred about 15 gallons of water with the tank, refilled and added quickstart to get it started. It's been up for a week, I just added the 8 mollies today to get it going.

I'm looking to rehome the Pleco...would the LFS take him/trade for him? I know they could charge a good deal for a big pleco.

When would you suggest that I start adding the other fish and in what order?

Thanks

Most local fish stores will take fish for store credit. Not big chain stores like Pet Co. I'd go with an Albino Bristlenose Pleco if you can find one. It would be really bright and the kids might enjoy that. I'd let the molly's cycle the tank. You need an API mater test kit so you can monitor you readings (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph). Don't add anymore fish until your ammonia and nitrite reads 0. Your nitrates will increase at the end of you cycle and you should try to keep it no higher than 20ppm. Then you can start adding your other fish. I'd do the pleco and smaller rasbora's or tetra's. See if you get a ammonia spike, don't worry if you do, just do a couple WC's, then once your ammonia and nitrites are at 0 again, you can add the other fish. Maybe a couple weeks or so inbetween depending on your readings. Add the angel last so it doesn't take the "this tank is mine" attitude on you. Just so you know the reason I say add the pleco 2nd is because you will get brown diatom algae in the beginning and he will take care of it. Don't get alarmed it will go away as the tank uses up all the excess silicates.

Back
Top Bottom