55 gallon tank and 2nd story house!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone...I was wondering what do you think of place a 55 gallon aquarium on a 2nd story floor? (My house also has a basement...so this I guess would techincally be the 3rd floor of my house.)

Do you think my floor will support all this weight?

What if I use an iron stan, will it still support it?

Thank you so much in advance!

Christmas is coming so bring on the new big aquarium :)

I had a 55 in a second floor apt and it was just fine. However it will depend on your house. Age, foundation, is it a load bearing wall . It is a lot of weight but alot of people have waterbeds on 2nd floors with no problem. You should really investigate the place where you want to put it. And be careful.

I bet it will work out fine. I have put 55 gal tanks all over the house, no problems. A good stand will distribute the weight over at least 4 square feet, so that is less than 100 pounds per square foot. I am 250 pounds on one foot and I never crashed through a floor!

Tom

I'm not exactly postive how im going to figure much out about my house...I already have two 10 gal up there and I wanted them on the stand with the 55 gallon but I don't know if it can handle it.

I'm not even postive what wall would be a load bearing wall...the problem with the city I live in is...there are NO BUILDING CODES! My house was built in 96 or 98. I believe 98. When we bought the house it said 2 x 6 construction I believe.

Another thing I forgot to mention...My room is right above the garage...my garage has those metal posts in it that support somthing...Does this play a factor?

I really want a bigger aquarium but I don't have much of a choice of where to put it other than my room...

thanks in advance for any help!!

Tom, I'm also about 230 pounds and I have never had a problem :p but a 55 gallon aquarium will probally be about 590 - 660 pounds and if I put the two 10 gallons...that would bring it up to 790-890 and if I stood in the spot (as I would sleep in my bed near it) that brings the weight up to over 1,000 pounds.

I'm very concerned about this.

Also...asking my builder wont help...he lies and I wouldn't trust him at all.

This is a reasonable concern that comes up on this forum every so often. Here is a link that does a very good job explaining residential floor load capacity and how best to situate your aquarium
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php

I have a 58 gal (and a 10 gal directly beneath it) in a 2nd floor apartment with no problems. Unless your home's builder was criminally negligent, I doubt you will have any concerns with a tank 90 gal or less.

QTOFFER, thank you so much...It wouldn't amaze me if he was criminally negligent...and I dobut I could do much if anythning does happen...

Do you think that it being above a garage with support bars adds to the concern?

Should be fine if it was buitl in 98, go into the basement and try to place it if you can on the bigger boards to support more wight, alos buy a wooden stand.

Dan :)

If anything, being above the grage may meke it easier to determine the direction of the 2nd floor joists and to check that there is no structural damage. My guess is that the room above the garage was an addition and that the support columns were added at the time to solidify the joists. Shouldn't be a problem unless you knock one out of place with your car!

If you situate the tank perpendicular to your floor joists, you will be distributing the weight across several joists. Also, try to position it against an outside wall, which is also a weigh-bearing wall. If you're still concerned, try calling up a local architect or general contractor and have a structural engineer ltake a look.

The room was not an additon...just probally poorly constructed and planned. The wall I want to put it on is an outside wall.

I have read quite a few places now that it its safe to place 55 gallon even in the middle of a room but nothing bigger than a 55 gallon.

I plan to have this on an outside wall, the only reason I'm really concerned is because I do not think my house was built very well...we paid a good amount for it 430,000 and you'd think it would be well built and apparently it is for this area...but who knows...I think I may go for it...I'm still concerned but I'll be asking my borther-in-law who is a big time engineer who deals with weight a lot.

If any of you have anymore advice or have a 55gallon on your 2nd/3rd (counting basement) floor please reply :)

Oh yes and...Do you guys think a 4 post iron stand is out of the question then 100% ?

600 lbs? oh yeah, didnt take weight of tank, stand, gravel, and decorations into acount. My 55 gal tank is 48 inches by thirteen inches. Still gives you only 150# per square foot. Even if you stood on the tank, you are at about 220 lbs per square foot. I would think that any recent construction would easily bear this. If the garage doesnt have drywall on the cieling, look and orient it across the floor supports, as previosly mentioned. I wouldn't worry about it.
Tom

Every city has building codes.If your house is of newer constuction (1996 or 1998),it will be more than adequate to support the weight of a 55 gallon.If you say your wall construction is with 2x6's,your floor joists are 2x8's,or possibly engineered lumber giving you even more strength.Metal lolly columns in a garage is standard code for longer spans.This should not be a concern. It must be a two car garage.I would situate the tank across the floor joists like Q mentioned.This will spread the weight load on the bearing wall.

piranha, My city has NO building codes at all. None. My garage is actually a 3 car garage...my garage is dry-walled.

How am I to tell the way of my floor joists on this upper level?

There is really only one spot I really want the tank...It is on an outside wall...and is right above the garage...

I really wish there were some build codes right now...I'd have a better idea about how safe this is.

From the information I'm getting I'm pretty sure it will be OK

This is a newer house and well...I hope it works haha...I do believe my house is 2 x 6 construction...but there is NO WAY to tell for sure as the builder has hidden somethings as it is.

Anyhow thank you all SO MUCH for your help.

PK; If the garage is used as as such and not as finished living space there are simple ways to find the direction of the floor joists.If the ceiling in the garage doesn't have a finish coat of paint you should be able to see the nailing pattern and if it does,you might see the spackle dimple under the paint.This will help determine the direction.If this doesn't work for you and you don't want to make any cuts in the ceiling,go to your local hardware store and purchase for as little as $10.00 an electronic stud finder.Glide it along the ceiling,real easy.If anywhere on the outside of the garage you have soffits or fascia board this is the location that the joists start and/or end. I don't believe that stand would be a problem but a stand without legs would spread the weight more evenly.If you don't feel comfortable get a stand with a base..Just think,people put heavy furniture on second stories all the time.Some heavier than 55 gallon tanks.Myself included.

Back
Top Bottom