Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
55 gallon tank and 2nd story house!

Hey everyone...I was wondering what do you think of place a 55 gallon aquarium on a 2nd story floor? (My house also has a basement...so this I guess would techincally be the 3rd floor of my house.)

Do you think my floor will support all this weight?

What if I use an iron stan, will it still support it?

Thank you so much in advance!

Christmas is coming so bring on the new big aquarium

Old 12-08-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a 55 in a second floor apt and it was just fine. However it will depend on your house. Age, foundation, is it a load bearing wall . It is a lot of weight but alot of people have waterbeds on 2nd floors with no problem. You should really investigate the place where you want to put it. And be careful.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 07:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I bet it will work out fine. I have put 55 gal tanks all over the house, no problems. A good stand will distribute the weight over at least 4 square feet, so that is less than 100 pounds per square foot. I am 250 pounds on one foot and I never crashed through a floor!

Tom
Old 12-08-2004, 07:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
I'm not exactly postive how im going to figure much out about my house...I already have two 10 gal up there and I wanted them on the stand with the 55 gallon but I don't know if it can handle it.

I'm not even postive what wall would be a load bearing wall...the problem with the city I live in is...there are NO BUILDING CODES! My house was built in 96 or 98. I believe 98. When we bought the house it said 2 x 6 construction I believe.

Another thing I forgot to mention...My room is right above the garage...my garage has those metal posts in it that support somthing...Does this play a factor?

I really want a bigger aquarium but I don't have much of a choice of where to put it other than my room...

thanks in advance for any help!!
Old 12-08-2004, 07:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tom, I'm also about 230 pounds and I have never had a problem but a 55 gallon aquarium will probally be about 590 - 660 pounds and if I put the two 10 gallons...that would bring it up to 790-890 and if I stood in the spot (as I would sleep in my bed near it) that brings the weight up to over 1,000 pounds.

I'm very concerned about this.

Also...asking my builder wont help...he lies and I wouldn't trust him at all.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wish TankGirl was on! I bet she knows
Old 12-08-2004, 07:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is a reasonable concern that comes up on this forum every so often. Here is a link that does a very good job explaining residential floor load capacity and how best to situate your aquarium
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...ium_weight.php

I have a 58 gal (and a 10 gal directly beneath it) in a 2nd floor apartment with no problems. Unless your home's builder was criminally negligent, I doubt you will have any concerns with a tank 90 gal or less.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

QTOFFER, thank you so much...It wouldn't amaze me if he was criminally negligent...and I dobut I could do much if anythning does happen...

Do you think that it being above a garage with support bars adds to the concern?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Should be fine if it was buitl in 98, go into the basement and try to place it if you can on the bigger boards to support more wight, alos buy a wooden stand.

Dan
Old 12-08-2004, 08:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If anything, being above the grage may meke it easier to determine the direction of the 2nd floor joists and to check that there is no structural damage. My guess is that the room above the garage was an addition and that the support columns were added at the time to solidify the joists. Shouldn't be a problem unless you knock one out of place with your car!

If you situate the tank perpendicular to your floor joists, you will be distributing the weight across several joists. Also, try to position it against an outside wall, which is also a weigh-bearing wall. If you're still concerned, try calling up a local architect or general contractor and have a structural engineer ltake a look.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com