55 gallon tank filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello!

I am planning to start a 55 gallon tank soon; either for goldfish, or livebearers. I was wondering what would be a good set up for filtration. I would love to have a canister, but I don't have the money to get one. Would any of these set ups work? (for goldfish? livebearers?)

1. 2 Aquaclear 70's
2. Aquaclear 70 1 Aquaclear 110 (I'm leaning towards this set up)
3. 2 Aquaclear 110's

I would like to have as much filtration as possible, (the GPH being at least 10x the volume of the tank, I.e., 550 GPH for 55 gallons) without the fish being blown around the tank. (especially if I went with livebearers).

Thank you, and I'm sorry I keep asking questions about this! I appreciate it! (y)

I got my 55 as a gift so it came with an Aqueon 55 HOB. I then added an Aquaclear 50. My experience with the AC is that the water exits in a waterfall fashion. But it's a decent filter overall.

If you do Goldie's I think 2 70's will be plenty. If livebearers then 2 50's are sufficient.

I don't think that's too much. If you want a canister uarujoey has a video on YouTube for a cheap DIY canister filter

10x seems a bit much to me for live bearers and some fancy goldfish species. Is there a reason you want this much?

Nah, it's recommended but not needed. You would be surprised at how much nitrifying bacteria a single filter can hold. And if you find that it's not enough then you can always add some more media to the filter to make up for it.

If the filter isn't adequate for converting all of the ammonia then the bacteria will start growing elsewhere in the tank. I've seen people that had their entire colony of BB in their tank due to frequent filter changes and have no issues with it... Until they changed out their substrate.

Nah, it's recommended but not needed. You would be surprised at how much nitrifying bacteria a single filter can hold. And if you find that it's not enough then you can always add some more media to the filter to make up for it.

If the filter isn't adequate for converting all of the ammonia then the bacteria will start growing elsewhere in the tank. I've seen people that had their entire colony of BB in their tank due to frequent filter changes and have no issues with it... Until they changed out their substrate.

So 2 70's are ok? Can you reply to the thread I just posted?

Back
Top Bottom