55 Gallon Tank with Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree to an extent rook, unless the tapwater contains 1+ppm of PO4, which is not unheard of. In this case, something like phosban or purigen might mitigate that. You know me, I rarely recommend a chemical solution that can be handled with proper maintenance. I just am not leaning towards over feeding or tank maintenance as the issue since the water parameters look well within what I would call good. Overfeeding would definitely cause PO4, but it would also manifest in the nitrate reading I think.

If the tapwater is clean, then overfeeding and tank maintenance could be the issue...

I think the first step is a black out though, as it will kill photosynthetic algae, and at least get you back to a starting point.

Couldnt agree more with Fort384. I would try the blackout for a few days. I did that with mine when I had a similar outbreak awhile ago and it cleared up on its own. My tank was getting about 8-9 hours of light, with no direct sunlight either. I covered it up for a few days, and when I took off the cover the algae was almost gone, with only a thin film on the glass. I've since gone down to about 5-6 hours of lights a day, and the algae is completely controllable now, no algaecides used at all.

Agree with Amicus. I was going to suggest PO4 as the next possible cause.

I would consider picking up a PO4 test kit.

I also would do a total black out on the tank for about 4 days. No lights, and cover it with black plastic.

I would not recommend adding any more algaecides to the tank for now.

If your PO4 is high (out of the tap or in the tank) some kind of chemical filtration of PO4 may become necessary.

Other possible solutions: UV sterilizer (expensive), and you can try some seachem purigen. It works miracles for polishing water (I would do the blackout first...).

I agree to an extent rook, unless the tapwater contains 1+ppm of PO4, which is not unheard of. In this case, something like phosban or purigen might mitigate that. You know me, I rarely recommend a chemical solution that can be handled with proper maintenance. I just am not leaning towards over feeding or tank maintenance as the issue since the water parameters look well within what I would call good. Overfeeding would definitely cause PO4, but it would also manifest in the nitrate reading I think.

If the tapwater is clean, then overfeeding and tank maintenance could be the issue...

I think the first step is a black out though, as it will kill photosynthetic algae, and at least get you back to a starting point.

+1

Is feeding once a day considered overfeeding? Does it depend on the number of fish or that is just considered that standard?

Is feeding once a day considered overfeeding? Does it depend on the number of fish or that is just considered that standard?

ya thats overfeeding in my opinion. 1 time every other day is just enough. and no it doesn't matter the amount of fish you have

It really depends on the fish you have Amicus. Once a day is usually more than sufficient. I have tanks right now that I feed every other day. Most people in the hobby overfeed their tanks. (let's try to keep the thread on topic here though, don't want to hijack the op).

mfdrookie516 said:
Call me old school, but proper tank maintenance IMO beats chemicals every time. Not knocking anybody on the phosban or purigen idea, but those are simply bandaids for the real problem IMHO.

First, feeding. Overfeeding is quite possibly the absolute easiest way to establish a healthy algae farm like you've got there. How often are you feeding? Any more then once every other day is overfeeding IMO. Each time you feed, how much are you feeding?

Second, lighting. What kind of lighting do you have over this tank? Is it the factory lighting? I've seen a lot of studies that show old bulbs tend to cause algae... not sure how valid that statement is, but how old are the bulbs?

Third, water changes. How often and how much are you changing? IMO, less than once a week isn't cutting it. Again, thats my opinion. Many people do ok doing them every other week, but I think they should be done at least once weekly even if the test doesn't indicate a need.

Now... This is only my experience. I have NEVER had an issue with algae (except some BBA and Hair algae in my planted tanks, but that was because I wasn't dosing co2/ferts...under control)... I always do a 50% water change every week, I feed every other day, sometimes once every 3 days. Lights only came on when I wanted to see the fish. Ambient light from the room provided plenty for the fish to see.

I do agree with fort that a blackout is a good idea. Do a 50% pwc, cover the tank up with a blanket so that no light gets in. Don't look in the tank for 5 days. Don't ahve the light on. Do a 50% pwc when you take the blanket off. I guarantee you that your tank looks 100 times better after that. But, if you don't change something (maintenance, feeding, whatever the issue is) it'll just happen again.

I used to feed the fish twice a day but I changed it to once a day. I did a 50% pwc yesterday because of algae but I normally do it once every month and only 25% water change that is what aquarium store told me to do. Thank u

pisces07 said:
I used to feed the fish twice a day but I changed it to once a day. I did a 50% pwc yesterday because of algae but I normally do it once every month and only 25% water change that is what aquarium store told me to do. Thank u

That same thing (25% PWC once a month) is what my lfs told me also, and I used to have all kind of problems. Now I know better and I do 50% weekly...... Much better, no issues with algae or illness (knock on wood).

Does that make your tank cycle again because of the 50% water change does it mess with the bacteria?

Nope. Doing a 50% pwc removes very little in terms of beneficial bacteria. The vast majority of the bacteria live in the biological filter media you have in your filter.

Get some simese algea eater. Better then a flying fox and not as aggressive as a Chinese algea eater

Going to wait until algae problem is clear before getting new fish I already lost five fish including my plecostomus.

Back
Top Bottom