55 gallon tips, thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tentacles

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone,
Ive been concentrating on getting a 2 gallon saltwater pico reef up and running lately but Ive been keeping a freshwater 55 gallon long tank for awhile now and Id like to do a few upgrades and so on for me and my fish's benefit since nothing has really happened with it in a while.

Ive got, right now, the penguin bio-wheel 350 for up to 75gallons, works perfectly, and the visitherm stealth 250w heater, works perfectly as well. Other that a thermometer and lights thats about it. Id like to fancy it up a bit, anyone got some suggestions and cool ideas? I have in it now a gold gourami, 4 bala sharks, a catfish, and 2 crayfish: a blue and a red (wild caught and very happy in the tank:) And then the assortment of large rocks in the gravel for decoration. Id like to get some plants, but I got mondo grass and its not a real aquarium plant i found out, (thanks petsmart) and i had a frilled plant and the sharks ate it all away. Any standard plant suggestions as well? Id appreciate any creativity and advice.

Thanks much!

Between the bala sharks and the crayfish, the plants are in for a rough road!
Java moss an Java fern have bitter taste, and are not as readily eaten. Both plants will also root into porous rocks and driftwood,(for added style points!).

i agree with the java ferns and moss. they are also relatively undemanding
if you do go the plant rout, hopefully your light is a florescent light (if not you would probably need one, incandescent bulbs do not really help plants) if you do already have a fluorescent light, then you might want to put in a new bulb if it is over a year old. java moss and java fern can both be tied to your rocks with fishing line, you will not see it (much) and it can be removed after the plant has attached itself. i would also suggest some driftwood for some variety. if you go with the driftwood, make sure it is aquarium safe and then either soak it for a about a week, changing the water every day (or boil it).
do not worry to much about the non-aquatic plants at petco it happens to all of use as we start to get into plants :D

Yes I have 2 flourescent lights and one incandescent for evening hours. Thanks for the comments^ :)

Anybody else have some ideas? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom