55 gallon with cracked black plastic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticAl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a 55 gallon second had and cracked the corners of the rim stock ( black plastic around bottom) while moving it and now not sure what to do. Do you guys know a way to fix it or replace it for cheap?

My lfs sold replacement trims for $15. I redid the top trim on a 55 gallon. Pretty easy to replace just takes time and patience.

Rhino said:
My lfs sold replacement trims for $15. I redid the top trim on a 55 gallon. Pretty easy to replace just takes time and patience.

You are just referring to the trim along the outside, not the support bracket in the middle as well?

The trim as said is a easy fix. And doesn't really need to be fixed at all.

On mine it is was all one piece. The support bracket was tied into the trim to give it stability..

10-4.... I have to admit, I've never looked at the bottom of my tank. It has the same support strip?

Could you take some pics? To see better what you're dealing with?

LyndaB said:
10-4.... I have to admit, I've never looked at the bottom of my tank. It has the same support strip?

Yep I guess its easier on the manufacturing side if they do them the same.

That makes sense.

When I was purchasing a used tank from my favorite lfs, he felt it needed a new top section w/bracket, so he ordered it and replaced it for me. Wasn't much to it, he said.

LyndaB said:
That makes sense.

When I was purchasing a used tank from my favorite lfs, he felt it needed a new top section w/bracket, so he ordered it and replaced it for me. Wasn't much to it, he said.

Hardest part was removing all of the old plastic and silicone. Problem with the tank in question here is that it is a corner that's cracked. I would be afraid of a blow out.

Definitely should replace it, as it is what provides much of the structural integrity of the aquarium. You'll need some sort of long, semi-sharp object to reach under the existing rim and start breaking the silicon loose. Once you've cut all the existing silicon loose on both the top and bottom, you can sometimes simply remove it. Other times you may need to loosen it prior to removal. I use a board and a rubber mallet and gently tap till it pops loose.

*update* the whole thing now popped off when moving it. Ive read a lot about how hard these things are to get off so it's very strange to me that it came off so easily. How cheap do you guys think I can replace it?

AquaticAl said:
*update* the whole thing now popped off when moving it. Ive read a lot about how hard these things are to get off so it's very strange to me that it came off so easily. How cheap do you guys think I can replace it?

Should only be about $15 to $20

i bought a new rim one time all i did was go online and found the right size

Brack- how much did it cost you and where did you get it from? Was it an easy assemble?

like he said^. I just scrapped the silicone off from the outside, not the stuff between the glass then re silicone

Back
Top Bottom