55 stocking suggestions SA/CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeISright

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about a pair of green terrors or a pair of JDs.. Maybe one of each? Or one terror and two bichirs?.. HELP!

GT's will get to big for a 55g but jack Dempseys should be fine, maybe a JD and a pair of firemouths?

What about a GT and a delhezi bichir? And i really would to try a bichir. So you think that a dempsey and 2 firemouths would work? Would you say a pair of FMs or just all males or females?

Last edited by a moderator:
So a pair of firemouths and a JD? I heard FMs are super aggressive when spawning and are there any other suggestions!?

They can be but the other fish will learn, a brichardi should be ok in there, some convicts or jewels maybe

If you want a bichir the only one who could work with a 55 is a senegal bichir. (also known as grey bichir, dragon eel and a few other names.)

I would try a JD and the bichir. I had a similar set up for a few months. My RD and bichir but the RD became to aggressive to keep them together.

Do you think i could keep a green terror with the polypterus senegalus? Or just a JD? Because i really really would love to have a green terror. Just had a genius idea. (or maybe horrible) how about senegal+green terror+5-7 tiger barbs? I am planning on upgrading in the next 2 years to a 125 or 220. Just dont have the space or money right now. Thanks

I dont no much about brichardi? How big and how many could i get. Are they SA or CA? Are they hard to find? Pretty much just tell me everything :)

mikeISright said:
I dont no much about brichardi? How big and how many could i get. Are they SA or CA? Are they hard to find? Pretty much just tell me everything :)

There is pretty much nothing I could tell ya that google can't. They reach about 8-12" depending on sex/genetics.

The GT would likely get to large for a 55. The JD however I know would work provided the temperament of the fish allowed tankmates. I don't see why barbs wouldn't work, but I do know you WILL need massive filtration for all them fish.

Alright so how many brichardi could i keep and with what else? And isnt a green terror similar to the RD which i see u have. Dont you have him in a 55?

I'd say one Bichir. And yes he's in a 55 for now.(solo). I also have a empty cycled 75, and 125g. When I feel he's to large I can and will move him. I'd say any of the larger cichlids need a minimum of 75g. RD,Oscar,Trimac,GT,JD. To name a few.

My RD is almost to the point of being moved to the 75. At 8" he can still comfortably turn around. At 9-10" it would not be in his best interest to keep him in a 55. All the fish I previously named "can" get over 12". Hence why I don't think a 55 should house them for life.

Alright thanks, How fast did ur RD grow? And do you think if i got a green terror for my 55 i could move him eventually to a larger tank in a year or two?

DISCUS I recently started caring for them and I have had fish since I was about 15 (I'm 25 now) and had almost everything as far as freshwater goes it seems like and the discus are by far my favorite looking and they are fun to interact with I always was afraid to try them because everyone said they were hard to care for and truth be told they are much more work then the others but i think it's well worth it plus u feel accomplished when they're happy I say try them out!!!!

Thank you! Yes i would like to keep discis but i would like to have a 125 for those because i could get double the amount i could have in a 55. I do plan on keeping them eventually and thanks for the advice! Have u ever kept a terror?

mikeISright said:
Thank you! Yes i would like to keep discis but i would like to have a 125 for those because i could get double the amount i could have in a 55. I do plan on keeping them eventually and thanks for the advice! Have u ever kept a terror?

I've never had a green terror but I got sick of caring for fish that didn't like living with other fish their are so many cichlids out there that are just to aggressive to live with anything and you would need a bigger tank to have one with any other fish and that's assuming he wouldn't kill them which I bet he would it's always the best looking fish that get to aggressive. Angels and discus are 2 good cichlids that tolerate other fish and look beautiful but I don't recommend you get both just 1 or the other? I like to pick one main species and then build around that for your "accent" fish

Yes i agree, i always pick as i call it a "centerpeice" and usualy have less colorful fish to accent them. And yeah i understand what you mean about getting tired of cichlids that are aggressive. My blood parrot is a nasty little bugger. What do you think would go good with a delhezi or senegal bichir? And i have time for my fish and i put a lot of time into them but probably not enough to keep discus. Thanks

Thats a beautiful tank! Right now i have black gravel and black backround. I heard it brings put the fishes colors. Right now discus are a no though. Any other options?

Back
Top Bottom