55 strange fish for middle top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rongoda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have a 55 have a few bottom fish and looking for top middle to full it out
It's fresh water want something strange, looking for suggestions
1 pleco
1 Peacock eel
3 Red tail shark
1 Rainbow cichlid

Like clown loaches but think they are bottom fish and not sure I could fit 3 in the 55

No you cannot fit any clown loaches in a 55. Also 3 red tails is a set up for extreme aggression. I'd only keep one, it the tank is heavily planted you may be able to get away with two. How about hatchet fish or giant danios ?

Maybe a African butterfly fish, they stay on the surface 90% of the time, only occasionally diving to the middle.

Just be aware of fin nippers as they may go after the butterfly. Also, a butterfly doesn't really like other fish that visit the surface too often.

I would think twice about giant danios. I have had them and they are beautiful, but you need at least five to make them happy--but you would be fully stocked. Plus they never stop moving--not always a peaceful-looking aquarium with the constant motion. Hatchet fish would be a great addition as you could have more of them and they are so quiet (and unique).

I'd go with the African butterfly fish and remove two of the sharks. They are highly territorial. Do you know what species of pleco you have?

I love tiger barbs, they're all over the place and very energetic. You need a minimum of 6. If you have two different kinds you need 6 of each. I also have no idea how they'll work with the rest of your stocking aside from the redtail/pleco.

Also, what kind of pleco? Commons get HUGE.

+1 only 1 red tail per tank, don't mix with rainbow sharks either

Back
Top Bottom