55g Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So we are fixing to move into our first house and I am going to start setting up my 55 gallon tank. I have struggled about what to do filter wise. Should I just get two aquaclear 70's or maybe a fluval 205 or 305? I am stumped on this. A friend suggested a 10 or 20 gallon sump...which I know nothing about. Mine is freshwater and I thought sumps were for salt. Please help.

You can have a sump for freshwater but a canister or aquaclear hob would be my vote. I would go to the fluval 405 at least though and if you go AC I'd get the 110. Filter manufacturers over rate their gph , you don't usually get what they say you will after accounting for media.

So would I be better getting two of the ac70's or one of the ac 110? How big of a sump would I need

A sump is recomended to be I think 20% of tank volume. So not a very big one. I would go with one Ac110. :) makes life real simple and a lot less expensive.

Youre looking at $150 i think for the fluval 405 on amazon.com

And maybe $70 I think for the AC. I could be a little high on that figure too

If you did yourself, maybe $100-$150. Youd need the sump tank, hoses, an overflow box, media/refugium contents and a return pump

I just want to make sure this is correct before I spend money. You think a single 110 would be better than dual ac 70 right. Its confusing to me to figure out which ones would be best. : (

The 70's are kinda big, i have one on my 20g. If it were me, I'd be getting the 110. Although some people will argue that a dual running filter system is a good idea. ie: when you clean it you can rotate and if one goes down you still have the other. It's for you to decide which options you want.

Do you want just a single filter to deal with and a cheaper price tag or do you want the security of having the second filter running?

I would also consider a Rena XP3 or Ehiem 2215. Canisters are out of the way other than the hoses too.

Back
Top Bottom