55g inhabitants for 9 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
Long story short: my job now requires me to travel during the summer months and I have no one to look after my 55g. So, the plan is to stock it for 9 months of the year and return the fish come summer.

While I'm well aware this isn't ideal, I'd still like to keep the 55 going and it provides the fish with a much better home than the store for 9 months.

So, I'm open to any and all suggestions of what to stock it with. I'd prefer to keep the numbers down (1-5 fish), as I'll need to catch all of them eventually. It does open up the opportunity to grow out juveniles that would be too big for my tank as adults, so I'm definitely open to that idea. I'm really just looking for ideas at this point, fire away!

Last edited:
Are you looking to sell on for profit?

I've been happy with the congo tetras that I've bought pretty much full grown.

No, not looking to sell on for profit. I'll get some livestock credit for the fish but that's not the goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Long story short: my job now requires me to travel during the summer months and I have no one to look after my 55g. So, the plan is to stock it for 9 months of the year and return the fish come summer.

While I'm well aware this isn't ideal, I'd still like to keep the 55 going and it provides the fish with a much better home than the store for 9 months.

So, I'm open to any and all suggestions of what to stock it with. I'd prefer to keep the numbers down (1-5 fish), as I'll need to catch all of them eventually. It does open up the opportunity to grow out juveniles that would be too big for my tank as adults, so I'm definitely open to that idea. I'm really just looking for ideas at this point, fire away!

Where would you go that would take adult fish back for credit? :blink:

Your idea seem absurd. It's like adopting a dog for 9 months, then returning it to the shelter and getting another different dog 3 months later for 9 months before returning them again. Shelter won't allow that but you get the idea. Or you know, buy a new puppy every year and giving it to the shelter every 9 months. It's pretty much abandonment is what you're doing to the puppy/fish. I know puppy and fish are two different things and you might call me absurd for comparing those two.

The fish going from a good tank back to a crowded tank of it's own species until it's hopefully sold again and not die is mean imo. There's also a chance it might attack other tank mates because it's the biggest and wasn't from the same group all the other fish came from, or it'll be attacked.

It depends from fish to fish but some type fish can't handle being introduced to new fish, they'll get aggressive/stressed out.

That's just my 2 cents. Is there a way you can get someone to watch your fish for the 3 months? Like a friend who has fish of their own and can hold your tank also. I know it's a lot of work moving the tank but if you really want to have fish, it is an option. I move every year with a 55g but it was for a turtle and it was doable. Maybe they have a spare that they can use for your fish every 9 months.

Plenty of locally owned stores will take adult fish. Mine included and often pays more since the fish is larger, how much depends on the species.

I would do something that won't be hard for an LFS to take back. Things like giant plecos and cichlids can be troublesome to find a home for. Smaller community fish shouldn't be much of an issue.

Plenty of locally owned stores will take adult fish. Mine included and often pays more since the fish is larger, how much depends on the species.

I would do something that won't be hard for an LFS to take back. Things like giant plecos and cichlids can be troublesome to find a home for. Smaller community fish shouldn't be much of an issue.

Ok, I didn't know locally owned stores may do that. I was thinking national store.

My lfs also takes in new fish as store credit. Sometimes they kind of rip you off(give you like 12 bucks on a fish they can sell for 40+) but if you are not worried about making a profit I would talk to them about it.

Also who is going to keep the tank cycled while you are away? You would be cutting your actual time with the tank by at least a month if not more.

My LFS store (locally owned) takes adult fish and yes, rip you off a bit for credit, but it's better than nothing.

I accounted for cycling time, I'm actually there 10 months out of the year.

Back
Top Bottom