55g Stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey there! I'm basically goings to restock my 55g because I've had wayyy too many issues with its current stock. This is what I'm going to keep:
1 angel
3 panda cories
1 peppered Cory
1 Bristlenose pleco

I want another angel, maybe. I just want an easy stock that won't kill each other and are hardier. What do you suggest?

Ps. It's planted as well!

Hey there! I'm basically goings to restock my 55g because I've had wayyy too many issues with its current stock. This is what I'm going to keep:
1 angel
3 panda cories
1 peppered Cory
1 Bristlenose pleco

I want another angel, maybe. I just want an easy stock that won't kill each other and are hardier. What do you suggest?

Ps. It's planted as well!

You have lots of room with that, you could add two good sized schools (10-12). Cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, and lemon tetras are all very peaceful, so shouldn't nip at your angel.

Honestly I would up your Cory schools to at least 8 in each school then add like a large group of maybe 10 cherry barbs or Columbian blue tetras. I think that would look awesome in a planted tank.

Good list! Here is what I would do

Bottom:
I would keep a group of cories, the one you like the most either pandas or peppered, make that group 5
Then I would add some sort of a pair of other fish, like a pair if banjo catfish or bumble bee catfish, maybe even two royal farlowella catfish
Middle:
I would add a school of rummy nose tetras, maybe 7
Top:
I would add fish like 4 hatchet fish or a pair of pearl gouramis
Centerpiece:
The angel will make a good fish, maybe two, check your stocking level at aqadvisor
Other:
I would do one small pleco and a pair of apple snails, will look nice!

Good list! Here is what I would do

Bottom:
I would keep a group of cories, the one you like the most either pandas or peppered, make that group 5
Then I would add some sort of a pair of other fish, like a pair if banjo catfish or bumble bee catfish, maybe even two royal farlowella catfish
Middle:
I would add a school of rummy nose tetras, maybe 7
Top:
I would add fish like 4 hatchet fish or a pair of pearl gouramis
Centerpiece:
The angel will make a good fish, maybe two, check your stocking level at aqadvisor
Other:
I would do one small pleco and a pair of apple snails, will look nice!

Farlowella cats get 8", I think that along with corys would be too much. Expanding the cory shoal and then getting a small pleco would be best for the bottom level IMO.

True about the fatlowella's

Plecos are bottom feeders, but remember they will stay on top of decor and on the glass, so a group of Cory's and a pair of other bottom fish will be good

True about the fatlowella's

Plecos are bottom feeders, but remember they will stay on top of decor and on the glass, so a group of Cory's and a pair of other bottom fish will be good

If that pair is of plecos, probably. But with 10 cories I would not recommend much of anything more on the bottom, crowding them and fighting for food.

Thanks everyone for your replies:) I've been planning to up the panda cory school, but it seems every time I go to buy them there is another fish issue I have to take care of:p I'm not sure if I will up the peppered cory school as this fish has been around since I first started really keeping fish (2-3 years ago) and he's just outlived all his other friends. I love my cardinals, but I have had issues with them (probably due to the curvicep, but still I have been burned by the species). I like the look of the rummies, but aren't they really fragile? I like the idea of cherry barbs and lemon tetras. I know that the barbs are hardy but are those tetras? I'm sorry about all this nit pickiness, but I really need something that a pair of fish noobs (my parents) can take care of for at least a month or two at a time when I go to college. I'm liking the look of harlequin rasboras as well.

Here's my possibilities for schoolers:
Lemon
Rummynose (if hardy)
Harlequins
Cherry Barbs

Thanks everyone so much!

I would add a school of 6 Hatchets for the top level. Since you have a big tank you could add a big school of Cardinal Tetras (about 10) and some Rummynose Tetras (about 10). Then you could get 2 Dwarf Gouramis and or 2 Rams. Finally, for the bottom dwellers, I would get around 10 Cory Catfish and about 5 Oto Catfish.

I would definitley go cherry barbs super hardy fish and are colorful as well. Personally I haven't had much luck with runny noses they always seem to die on me. Lemon tetras are pretty hardy fish as well and harlequins idk much about

I would definitley go cherry barbs super hardy fish and are colorful as well. Personally I haven't had much luck with runny noses they always seem to die on me. Lemon tetras are pretty hardy fish as well and harlequins idk much about

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to hear:)

Okay, thanks to you all I am planning on harlequins (love their look) and cherry barbs:) The question is how many of each of them? Or should I just go with one BIG school of one of them? How stocked do you think that would be?
I will also have:
x2 Angelfish
x6-7 Panda Corydoras (May lower down to 5 and get 4 more peppered as well... I feel kinda bad for my lone peppered)
x1 Peppered Corydora
x2 Bristlenose Plecos

Sound good? THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!

Okay, thanks to you all I am planning on harlequins (love their look) and cherry barbs:) The question is how many of each of them? Or should I just go with one BIG school of one of them? How stocked do you think that would be?
I will also have:
x2 Angelfish
x6-7 Panda Corydoras (May lower down to 5 and get 4 more peppered as well... I feel kinda bad for my lone peppered)
x1 Peppered Corydora
x2 Bristlenose Plecos

Sound good? THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!

6-8 of each cherry and harle

Actually, you would probably have room for about 10 barbs and 12 rasbora, being that they are the only mid-top level swimmers besides the angels.

Actually, you would probably have room for about 10 barbs and 12 rasbora, being that they are the only mid-top level swimmers besides the angels.

Seriously that many fish! Wow! That's pretty awesome to hear:D

I'll make sure to post some pictures once it's all done. Although that shouldn't be for another two weeks or more...

Back
Top Bottom