55g stocking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetness8t5

Aquarium Advice Activist
Gosh... I'm so tired of posting these damn stocking questions, but here we go again:

10 neons
10 rummy-nose
6 harlequin
3 glo-fish (I keep finding conflicting information, please clarify)
6 otos
2 Rams (golden)
4 cories (Leopard or Panda-still deciding)
2 Pearl Gourami

I'm still not sure about the cories, anyone have an objection to this? I want a scavenger fish because I feel like the otos will be on "over-load", ya know?
And how about the Pearl Gouramis?

Let me know peoples!!! =)

Thanks!!!!!

I think the corys are a great choice personally.

The 6 otos may be a bit much. I have not had a lot of luck keeping them alive and I suspect they are starving to death. You will no doubt need to add blanched veggies for them to eat especially in those numbers.

The Gouramis may be an issue. I have no experience with them myself but I understand that they can be a bit aggressive toward other fish. Your rams may not appreciate that.

So instead of 6 otos.. maybe 3? I read that you should stock 1 oto for every 10g. Like I've said before... I'm sick and tired of reading conflicting information. *ugh*

I've been researching the Pearl Gouramis and yes they are some Gouramis that are more aggressive than others, but it keeps pulling up that they are peaceful and a chill type of fish.

I see you have Rams, can you mix the Golden with the Blue ones (out of curiosity)... I'm having a had time picking between the two. The Golden are prettier and daintier to me, but the Blue are soo colorful!

I totally agree with you about the conflicting information. When it all comes down to it, it's all trial and error. What fails miserably in my tank may thrive in your tank. I think the best advise I was given is to start slow and watch. Your fish will tell you how things are going.

I have been told that the gold and blue rams are actually the same fish with different color expressions. I have kept both together with no problems other than the usual infighting. In fact, it is not unheard of to have a gold mate with a blue.

Something worth mentioning is the fact that the rams seem to mate like rabbits. This in of itself is not a problem, but when pairs form they tend to get kind of nasty to the other fish of the same species. Those fish you saw in the plastic bags were all in one tank together and are now spread over 4 different tanks because of aggression and spawning. I have been able to keep two mated pairs in the 55 with ample cover and hiding places without too much trouble. I did not really find out a lot of this until I had a tank full of them. I think they are my favorite fish but they can be a pain. The males seem to be the most problematic. A combination of one male with two or more females seems to work out with minimal aggression.

Hm, given that information..I might try 2f golden rams and 1mblue ram. I don't know anymore to be honest with you,HA! Too much thinking(especially with summer classes)-ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
I want to try and get a "true" pair, if achievable.

I think people say 10 gallons/oto so there's better odds of them having enough algae to eat. My experience has been that they'll supplement with veggies better than wafers...but others have had different experiences. Like cories, I think three's the magic number for them to be happy as schooling fish--you probably don't need 6.

Otos aren't really scavenger fish--just algae eater...cories are better bottom feeder.

I'm not sure what your question is about glo-fish...

Sadly, I also know nothing about gouramis but the tetra schools sound good, plus the rams. :)

I have also heard that pearl gouramis are more peaceful than the blue or gold gouramis. They are also beautiful fish. For scavenger type fish, what about some loaches? The clowns get huge but there are several other species that stay smaller (yo-yos, kubotais, striatas) and they are great fish with lots of personality. I have 2 striatas and I adore them. I have not had luck with otos....for algae control I have 2 bristlenose plecos and 2 Siamese Algae Eaters, the SAEs are worth their weight in gold for algae cleaning on plants, while the plecos take care of the driftwood and glass.

Glo-fish are genetically altered Zebra Danios. They are not dyed fish, if that was your question. I personally don't like them, and I think they might look weird with your other fish choices (all of which are quite pretty) but if you like 'em, try them!

Oops.. sorry guys about the glo-fish.. I've had one for about a yr now and I was asking about schooling it. I find that some sites say to school them with 2 or more, others say a minimum if 6 fish for a school.

I've had my pearl gouramis for a week now, and they don't bother any of my other fish. I've actually found them to be kind of shy, but I'm sure they will come out more once they are used to my tank.

I'd personally skip the Glofish, and the harlequin rasboras. It just seems like an awful lot of fish for a 55 gallon, and the Glofish (zebra danios) are known to be nippy when kept in a group of less than 6. Plus, danios are VERY active and I think that this might stress the slow-moving, laid back gouramis (this is a species known for being peaceful, you're right about that). Or, you could substitute the rasboras for either the neons or the rummynose.

A word of caution about the rummynose: this is a delicate species and they are best added to established tanks. It's difficult to find healthy stock, and if you do find healthy stock, they are difficult to acclimate. I'd at least wait for a couple of months before trying them. JMO.

newfound77951 said:
Glo-fish are genetically altered Zebra Danios. They are not dyed fish, if that was your question. I personally don't like them, and I think they might look weird with your other fish choices (all of which are quite pretty) but if you like 'em, try them!

I like them, the pink color is the prettiest, and that's the one I have. But I saw a picture of a tank with some glo-fish in them and it didn't look bad.
I know what you mean though, might look out of place, but after seeing that picture I think it will look good(with like just a few).

I think that 3 otos would be enough. I have just put 3 in my 20 gallon tank and within 3 days my tank is so clean. They had a lot of algae to deal with. I now want to supplement them with veggies. I hope I can keep them healthy and alive. They really are workers.

sweetness8t5 said:
I know, me neither!! haha...
You have been mean to me??

I try REALLY hard to be nice while being very stern with what I say, if that makes sense? I don't think Ive ever purposly been mean to you, or anyone over there for that matter, but sometimes it could come across like that =o)

You're the dice girl, I remember now!!

You give AWESOME advice...

*yells*
HEY EVERYBODY!!!!!!
THIS GIRL HERE GIVES AWE-SOME ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom