55g switch to 90g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daneek155

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i need your guys opinions i am switching my 55 g aquarium for a 90 g aquarium... here is what i have right now in the 55g..

flora-max substrate
fluval 305
216 t5 ho light
co2 injection
2 angels
2 GBR
2 Bolivian rams
2 blue rams
3 cardinal tetras
1 pleco
2 ottos
1 dwarf guarami

the tank id med to heavy planted. for now i waas going to use the 305 filter but i have a fx5 on the way for it soon. the main problem is that i only have one stand and right now the 55g tank is on it.
the tank is pretty good established it is about 5 months old

and i was thinking about putting a layer of soil on the bottom of the 90 for better plant growth and i am also planning on keeping discuss in the 90 g to.... please help me on how i should do this switch over without killing any fish. and i will not be using the 55g after i swap out for the 90 no room.

Are you afraid to loose your cycle and thus kill the fish? Well, you will loose part of your cycle if you don't use your old substrate and decor, but if you use the same filter it will help. If you want to get your 90 gal already to fill then put some of your 55gal substrate in a container that allows some water flow (clean stockings that have never had soap on them or something aceptable) then put some of your substrate in place in the 90 gal. Then take some of the decor from the 55gal and put it in. (Both of these things will come out after your cycle seems to be doing well.) Next, fill the 90 with water like you would the 55gal and then move over the filter. (do you have a spare filter? it would help while waiting for the new filter to come.) Let everything settle for a little while them move the fishies over. Keep an eye on them for a while and make sure to test the water daily...... please chime in here with anything i have wrong.

PS when the new filter comes stuff as much of the old media into it to transfer the good BB over.

thanks i was planning on using the substrate that is in the 55g and all the plants and drift wood will be moved as well.. basically everything that is in the 55g will go into the new 90 g... as for the subtrate should i vacuem the visible dup of the surface before i swap it into the 90. i just dont want alot of debris like on the bottom bottom of the tank causing nitrate buildups?? i could be wrong im a sort of new to this. been in the hobby for a year. so as much help i could would be great. as for filling the 90 temp the prob would be i would be able to lift it off the ground... its like 1000 pounds filled.

Take half the water out of the 55gal, scoop the fish out (less water = easier scooping!) then empty it the rest of the way, take it off the stand, put the 90 on the stand and switch everything over. While your fish are in a holding bucket make sure you either put in a bubbler stone or swish the water every so often to make sure surface agitation occurs for gas exchange to happen. Uuuummmm..... that's it for now it I think of something else I'll let you know.

ok thanks,, would it help if i put the aqurium water into a 30g plastic box or bucket is fine

Either should be fine. As long as its clean and has never had any cleaning products in it.

ok now for mu subtrate because im planning to keep discus and angels and rams in this tank... right now i have flora max but i will be needing to add more substrate, what would you guys reccomend to put on the bottom layer??? of the tank

dude im telling you, fill up the tank with substrate,water. let the cycle begin, throw a POS filter on it,introduce an ammonia source.when your cycle is done drain most of the water into a bucket(s) and i will help you transfer it to your stand.im buff bro. no but seriously. let it cycle.i would anyways.

BTW is this your build thread? if so don't be shy, throw up a bunch of pics, of our 55, your 90.do it..do it....i want to see the size of your angels.GL

ill post up pics tommarow.... lights are already out on the 55g.... but i am going to be using the substrate from the 55g.......

geez do i have ti di everything for you, heres a ppic of your tank i had saved.
img_1787883_0_67f77323c0b0a2d26f95577e8dcb08dd.jpg

OK so here is my next question. I am going to add about 2 bags of eco-complete black to my old substrate,, will that affect my cycle?? I am not doing this swap for about a month or maybe even 2. i was told that eco leaches ammonia. what would you guys suggest??? or should i put in the 90 and just put water or will that kill all the nutrients

here some pics of my fish... correct if om worng buy my understanding i have 1 gbr male and 1 gbr female
img_1788571_0_9df6a7b46c9d30ee526e7540f9c1d7c8.jpg

img_1788571_1_45326213f964bd59b79d90fa04f73811.jpg

img_1788571_2_7c6e1c4c6b132d4567fa835c5e4d4964.jpg

img_1788571_3_660ec3a9585ce9ca6c48c07425cb3d90.jpg

img_1788571_4_b8b8164c5dcfc494c96ed0465926e48b.jpg

img_1788571_5_6c4f5d1367212d54a359f5bf974af739.jpg

img_1788571_6_c89fbb7965592265a977be06b31caeeb.jpg

img_1788571_7_691e5291ed5b39d7a61d59445ee1e1e5.jpg

Sorry for crappy pics came from a cheap camera

who thinks that one of the german blue rams are male and 1 female?

do new tanks give off silicates??? should i start a cycle in the new 90g i am not going to be setting it up for another 2 months.

The new substrate might give off some silicates, it depends on what it is made of, but if you are asking about the diatom explosion most new tanks see my guess is it will probably happen. It doesn't hurt the fish as long as you don't let your tank get too dirty. As for the cycle that's up to you. If you are switching everything over such as filter media substrate and decor I wouldn't worry about it as much as starting from scratch. But it is up to you.

If you transfer over your current filter and substrate, along with most of the decor in the tank, you shouldn't lose your cycle. As long as the stuff stays wet the bacteria should not die. With this said, you may go into a mini-cycle where you get small traces of ammonia or nitrites. You should just transfer half the water over, move the substrate, decor and filter media. Make sure to test the water every day for a week or so to make sure the cycle stays. If you enter any sort of mini-cycle, just do PWC's.

I don't agree with starting completely over with your cycle. Seems like a waste of time to me. I've switched tanks about 4 times this way and have had no issues.

Back
Top Bottom