55g tank/stand build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vance1013

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to be building my own diy custom stand very soon i will have a build thread for it soon my idea is to take a spool you know those big cable spools ive been searching for the right one i just got a lead on where i can get them free im going to contact them soon to find out out the different sizes they have im looking for one that will fit with 55g i plan too straighten out one side so it sits flat against the wall then build a curved door to fit so i can have shelves in side on the outside of the door since its round i want to attach driftwood/branches, rocks etc.. to give it that rustic nature look and to conceal the door as well i was wondering what everybody's thought are on this idea. And show some your own custom diy stands for inspiration.

Not sure I would trust using a giant spool thing to hold a tank, they are not made to hold weight in that direction. A gallon of water weighs about 8.5 pounds, or there abouts. Plus substrate, rocks and everything else, lets be safe and round up to 10 pounds per gallon. That's 550 pounds with a 55 gallon. I might think twice about it and build an actual stand.

blert said:
Not sure I would trust using a giant spool thing to hold a tank, they are not made to hold weight in that direction. A gallon of water weighs about 8.5 pounds, or there abouts. Plus substrate, rocks and everything else, lets be safe and round up to 10 pounds per gallon. That's 550 pounds with a 55 gallon. I might think twice about it and build an actual stand.

That is well put i have a smaller spool i use as a table on my porch i have stood sat and walked on it and i weigh a little over 300 pounds and i could put supporting struts in to make it stronger i had planned on building a regular stand i still can im in the planning stage lol this idea just popped in my head cause ive seen them used for all kinds of things

I made a stand for a 40b out of 4x4s, 8 inch lag screws and hurricane straps. Was really easy. Ugly, but easy and it would probably hold an elephant. I suppose I could have finished it with some nice panels but was for a tank that was in the garage so there was no point.

blert said:
I made a stand for a 40b out of 4x4s, 8 inch lag screws and hurricane straps. Was really easy. Ugly, but easy and it would probably hold an elephant. I suppose I could have finished it with some nice panels but was for a tank that was in the garage so there was no point.

That is true sounds like its very sturdy got any pics what are hurricane straps havent heard of those

vance1013 said:
That is true sounds like its very sturdy got any pics what are hurricane straps havent heard of those

These are hurricane straps http://tinyurl.com/avy2rfn
It's easy to build many different styles of stands that will hold the weight. I'm with the others on figuring out a different idea on what you originally had planned.

depending on the type of spool your thinking about it can work but you'd need a spool that had some really heavy gauge wire on it or something equally heavy.

I've seen some really large spools of wire that would work out very well considering that the center of the spool is 3' in diameter and the core is a dozen or so curved wooden slates with the sides being double layered wood beams at just about 2" thick.

Andrew McFadden said:
These are hurricane straps http://tinyurl.com/avy2rfn
It's easy to build many different styles of stands that will hold the weight. I'm with the others on figuring out a different idea on what you originally had planned.

Ok so they're like hangers those i can understand for being very strong we use similar bracketts for rebuilding the decks we do at work. Im trying to figure out whats wrong with the original idea i wasnt going to just put the tank on there and let it be i would reinforce if need be i was just wanting to do something unique instead of the standard rectangular stand

Evilgrin said:
depending on the type of spool your thinking about it can work but you'd need a spool that had some really heavy gauge wire on it or something equally heavy.

I've seen some really large spools of wire that would work out very well considering that the center of the spool is 3' in diameter and the core is a dozen or so curved wooden slates with the sides being double layered wood beams at just about 2" thick.

Those are the ones i was looking at just slightly smaller i got a number from my local paintball field (where they get theirs at through our local PUD) who uses them for tables and platforms for playing etc.. so i know these are strong for what i want to do and i will reinforce the sides

vance1013 said:
Ok so they're like hangers those i can understand for being very strong we use similar bracketts for rebuilding the decks we do at work. Im trying to figure out whats wrong with the original idea i wasnt going to just put the tank on there and let it be i would reinforce if need be i was just wanting to do something unique instead of the standard rectangular stand

It could probably work the more I think about it. I wouldn't trust it by its self for sure and it looks like you already thought about that. I know the great big ones out here on the farm can take some major abuse. If your going to put it flat against the wall I'd cut the the round off at the base and top at the back so only the front would show round. Another thing to think about is you'll loose the whole appearance by adding the doors to the front so I think you should make doors on the side and leave the front hallo. Idk just a thought :) when I do these type of things I put in a lot of thought at first to make it perfect but can hold the weight. Good luck ill be following to see what you do because I think its very interesting

Andrew McFadden said:
It could probably work the more I think about it. I wouldn't trust it by its self for sure and it looks like you already thought about that. I know the great big ones out here on the farm can take some major abuse. If your going to put it flat against the wall I'd cut the the round off at the base and top at the back so only the front would show round. Another thing to think about is you'll loose the whole appearance by adding the doors to the front so I think you should make doors on the side and leave the front hallo. Idk just a thought :) when I do these type of things I put in a lot of thought at first to make it perfect but can hold the weight. Good luck ill be following to see what you, do because I think its very interesting

Thank you and that was what i was planning too was to have the round in the front like you mentioned good idea for the doors on the side i hadnt thought of that lol cause i was thinking a rounded door that opened in the middle and the doors would have driftwood, branches rocks etc.. glued on for a natural rustic rounded kindve look

vance1013 said:
Thank you and that was what i was planning too was to have the round in the front like you mentioned good idea for the doors on the side i hadnt thought of that lol cause i was thinking a rounded door that opened in the middle and the doors would have driftwood, branches rocks etc.. glued on for a natural rustic rounded kindve look

You could even strip bark off trees and glue them on

I would make sure to include some supports for the outter ring of the spool to give it rigidity because you would not want it to sag as that would put stress on the tank.

I know our electrical deparment get spools which have 1" electrical cable on them, again as another posted, all the strength is in the center ring.

I was looking at a metal stand at Lowe's which says it will hold 800 pounds per shelve. the cost was like $80. it is metal so will give an industrial look. :huh:

bobc4d said:
I would make sure to include some supports for the outter ring of the spool to give it rigidity because you would not want it to sag as that would put stress on the tank.

I know our electrical deparment get spools which have 1" electrical cable on them, again as another posted, all the strength is in the center ring.

I was looking at a metal stand at Lowe's which says it will hold 800 pounds per shelve. the cost was like $80. it is metal so will give an industrial look. :huh:

Yes i am aware of where the main holding strength is i planned on putting in reinforcements in those areas

I'm going to buy some black metal shelves from walmart and stack my two tens or maybe the two tens and the 25. Each shelf will hold 250 equally dispersed weight for each shelf. I'm going to go look at them today, who knows.
P.S The Danios are getting much bigger, they should be ready for you when you get the 55 up and running.

I'm going to buy some black metal shelves from walmart and stack my two tens or maybe the two tens and the 25. Each shelf will hold 250 equally dispersed weight for each shelf. I'm going to go look at them today, who knows.
P.S The Danios are getting much bigger, they should be ready for you when you get the 55 up and running.
Here's a picture of it, let me know what you think of it.

Attachments

• whitmor-supreme-small-3-tier-shelves-black.jpg
    whitmor-supreme-small-3-tier-shelves-black.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 122
Back
Top Bottom