55g Tentative Stock List: Expertise Wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patty1980

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is what I like that seems to work with what I have already. Open to suggestions always! I'd like to keep the final stock choices in this tank. No room to upgrade in the near future.

55g
2 Aqueon QuietFlow 50
Heat 77F
Black Caribsea sand substrate
Going for all rock scape with limestone and (ideas?) Maybe some DW....still thinking
I have already moved my 5 zebra danios and one male dwarf gourami from my 20g.

What I thought I might add successfully over time:

2 blue acara
1 blood parrot (2 if no shark)
1 angel
1 red tailed or rainbow shark

Its over stocked but I'm a clockwork 50% weekly water changer. Thoughts? Tips? Changes?

:bump:

Wanting a bigger center piece fish, peaceful, personality. Open to other ideas.

I would guess that both the danios and RT Sharks might nip your angel's and gourami's fins. People who own RT Sharks tend to say that they're hit-and-miss personality-wise, and some can be very aggressive. I'd go with a Rainbow instead. I probably wouldn't do an angel and a gourami in the same tank, either.

Also, don't use limestone unless you want a higher pH than what your tap water supplies.

Ok. No RT or angel. The danios chase, but don't nip the gourami. I'd rather start with an empty tank, but it is what it is. I was thinking the cichlids needed higher ph (only reason I mentioned limestone). Any other thoughts?

Don't get two acaras or blood parrots. If they pair up they'll be aggressive towards everything else in an already overstocked cramped tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok. I'm getting a lot of nos.....but no suggestions. I'm currently stocked 28%.......and bored......

Your fine with adding an Angel. Gourami is dominant only until you add another aggressive species in the tank. Once you add in the red tail the Gourami will be calmer. I would go with rainbow shark over redtail however as they are known to be less aggressive.

I can't speak to the danio's though. I did have some tetras who would nip the fins of my angel and it was a pain to deal with. They volunteered to be re-homed.

Just to give you some ideas, my current stocking is:

Snakeskin Gourami
Angel
Rainbow Shark
3 Platy
South American Leaf
5 Cory's

Its funny, I actually moved the gourami because my other dwarf male was bullying him in my 20g planted. The danios just needed more track space, lol. Well, poop. I so wanted a cichlid tank or single bigger fish in this tank. Now its turning into a catch all...

I never said don't do those fish at all, just do one of each instead of two so you don't have to deal with them killing everything. The angelfish will need warmer water than the gourami can stand. Why not do the rainbow shark, blue acara, a school of hatchetfish or swordtails, and some Boeseman's rainbowfish

Or say f. it, throw the dwarf back into the 20 or get another small tank and put a jack Dempsey or green terror in the 55. The danios won't be around long, though.

I do like JD, severum, green terror. I hate to sound terrible, but the danios can be a snack for someone I wouldn't be broken hearted.....

I love the way green terrors look. I was wanting one for my tank but I'm too nervous about the aggression. Severum would be cool, maybe with a couple keyholes

Back
Top Bottom