55Wx2 PL lamp or 24Wx3 T5 lamp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baobeiiiiiiii

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

my new tank is 60cm x 30cm x 35cm (height) (16.6 us gallons). I'm not sure if I should use a 55Wx2 PL lighting fixture (releases 110W) or a 24Wx3 T5 lamp fixure (3 t5 bulbs producing 72W in total).

Any idea which is better? The PL option seems a bit bright. Both use the same ballast. Thanks!

id go with the T5 lights, id imagine they would have a higher PAR value. Why so much light for that tank anyways?

It's around 4W/gallon with the T5 fixture. I'm going to have alot of plants, and co2 injection. I don't want too much light, the shop i'm going to simply only has those two options available, or a 35w single bulb fixture which I think won't be bright enough.

Once I get back to computer ill link a site explaining par values as watts per gallon so no longer valid and may end up saving you some money has that amount of light is overkill imo

Thanks, i'm supposed to be going back to the shop in 2 hours to return the PL for the t5 (free of charge). Is 3x24w T5 really too much light? Most lamp fixtures i can find that fit a 60cm tank are all 4x24w T5.

This tank is also kind of 'nano' size still, as I know (i'm no expert) smaller tanks like this need higher wat/gallon that much larger tanks.

this is the exact fixture:

is it possible to get 60cm long t5ho tubes that are less than 24w each? Then in the future, if too bright, i could downgrade the bulbs.

my tank is around same size as the one in that photo too.

Attachments

• T2EUFLXglaXXXXXXXX_!!716700119.jpg
    T2EUFLXglaXXXXXXXX_!!716700119.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 72
Many companies make a 24" dual t5HO which I would think would be more than enough. 60cm is 23.62 inches so most 24" fixtures should fit and if your concerned about the .23" then fixtures such as the coralife dual t5ho fixture has adjustable legs

no size of the tube is what determines the the wattage, i mean you would be ok with that, just going to have to be careful about how long its on, injecting pressurized co2, and use ferts (dry ferts) so you dont have out of control algae, so its doable, they do make 24 inch T5ho 2 bulb lights though, aquaticlife is a good brand with excellent reflectors

So in your opinion, a 2 bulb fixture with 2 T5HO 24w is plenty for good plant growth in a tank of my size? Thanks for the fast replies, i'm about to leave and buy this stuff!

yes, i use a 36 inch 2 bulb t5ho aquaticlife fixture on my 38 gallon, along with pressurized co2 and dry ferts, and you can see i have no problem with my plants if you look at my pictures.

It depends on the fixture. Judging by the reflector in the picture of the light you linked (something about books and covers? I can't remember), a good two bulb fixture could put out more light than the three bulb you linked.

Where are you located? I've never seen the fixture you linked before, which makes me think you're outside the states.

Back
Top Bottom