56g Column Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
56g Column Setup & Journal

Tank is back up with a new aquascape and what better time to start keeping track of things?

Equipment;

56g (30x18x24) Marineland Aquarium
Fluval 405
Aquaclear 110
Nova T5HO 2x24w and/or Fishneedit T5HO 4x24w
Hydor Koralia 720gph circulation pump
2:1 mix of Fluorite Black sand and Carribsea Black Sand

Plants;
12-15 stalks of Najas Anacharis
6-8 stalks of Anacharis
6 stalks of Moneywort
4 stalks of Giant Hygro
1 large bushel of Wisteria
1 Pygmy Chain Sword + 2 runners
5 Apon. Crispus
Some floating Watersprite

Current Livestock;

3x Hoplosternum littorale (3.5-4.5") (Brown Hoplo cat)
2x Chromidotilapia guntheri (2.5" and 3") (Guenther's Mouthbrooders)

Future Livestock;

+1 female C. guentheri (if both prove to be males)
+2 Ctenopoma acutirostre (Spotted Climbing Perch etc)
+2 Steatocranus casuarius (Lionhead Cichlid) or school of Odessa Barbs

Plant notes;
I had a severe die-off of my Moneywort several days prior to this whole do-over. Now I'm down to one healthy stalk, and a handful of ones that may or may not make it. Would like to add some Xmas Moss if I can get a hold of it. Almost all of the E. najas in the tank are cuttings from my other setup; that stuff has grown faster and been far more resilient than E. densa. Looks nicer too, in my opinion.

In redoing the scape, I left out most of the regular Anacharis, did away with my massive bushel of Hornwort, and left out the guppy grass too. I think I reduced my amount of plants by about 40%, but plan on bringing it back up in the coming weeks. Just looked to chaotic before.

Fish notes;

I didn't actually intend on trying to get a pair, no less a trio of C. guentheri, but I made a pity-purchase at the LFS. The one I had picked out, plus a larger one that had apparently been in the tank there going on six months. The larger one looked like a female because of its coloration at the store, but now that things are settling, the color is coming back and it looks like I might have two males on my hands. I'd like to see these mouthbrooders in action some day.

The only problems I'm anticipating fish-wise are between C. guentheri and S. casuarius as both like to stay near the bottom and enjoy having territories.

I introduced the C. guentheri to the DT straight away today after considering my options. Dropsy got the last of my fish from the QT, and it hasn't been properly cleaned yet. The C. guentheri had been at the store a long time and were in good health, and there were no signs of disease or death in their holding tanks. So it was put them in the DT, or risk putting them in QT that had Dropsy-afflicted fish in it two days ago.

On the upside, within 30 minutes of entering the DT, they accepted food (NLS Thera +A) and were already looking through the sand for goodies. But, they are still rather shy. They dart behind rocks and plants when I enter the room and will only come out if I'm extremely still. One of them sustained a minor scuff when being captured at the LFS; it went crazy trying to get away and probably bounced off the lace rock.

My H. littorale are a bit ichy I'm guessing, as sand particles are sticking to them. They really like to stick their face down in the sand and stir it up. I've read that this should subside in a few days, so here's hoping.

Other than that, everyone seems to be in good health, is active, hungry and being kind to eachother.

Equipment notes;
I took a bone saw to my AC110 and trimmed the output ramp, and rebuilt it using acrylic + DAP aquarium silicone, all thanks to the dumb center brace. I wish I'd gone with a 65g now for the sake of making things easier, but you live and you learn. Once my plants start getting on the tall side, I may put a spray bar on the 405, because right now it's like a jet in there that I can see whipping the plants all over.

The Koralia 720gph has proven to be a bit too much without something like a big rock to break up its output, so I may throw it up on Craigslist and try to get the 400-something one. You can see it in the pics, and it even looks too big for the tank, lol.

-

On Tuesday I'll be picking up my two C. acutirostre and will have the QT all ready for them. They're 1.5-2" each. Odessa Barbs/S. casuarius are probably about a month or more away. I'm also planning on adding some Crypts this week.

Attachments

• 56g_001.jpg
    56g_001.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 56g_002.jpg
    56g_002.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 56g_003.jpg
    56g_003.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 163
  • 56g_004.jpg
    56g_004.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 152
Well I'm about 90% sure I've got two males now. There's definitely a boss of the two, though the aggression is so mild compared to my past cichlids that it's almost funny. The bigger one will puff up a bit and nudge the small one when it gets near, and then slowly follow it around until it leaves the area. I haven't witnessed any attacks yet and there's no visible damage on the small one. He's a bit stressed so I'm going out today to pick up some more rocks so I can build more concrete territories in the tank. Going to see if I can procure a female or two as well.

C. guentheri has no qualms about eating small Ramshorn snails, apparently. The fish is about 3", and the snails about 1/4". I saw something that didn't look like gravel coming out of the fish's mouth, and when I looked closer I could see the spiral part of the shell on the sand.

Couldn't find any confirmed females at the one LFS that keeps these. In the store tank they have almost zero color so it's hard to tell. I'm going back tomorrow to talk to "the guy" about finding one. Whoever he is, he's got way more experience than me with them, I guess he picked out a male + female for the store's display tank. I saw them and they looked gorgeous, almost like a differently shaped, larger Krib with a passion for bulldozing.

The smaller guentheri is much more colorful and less shy than the big one, even though he gets pushed around. He'll come halfway up the tank to intercept pellets on their way down. The big one just hides in the plants at the bottom and will only eat the food if it lands right in front of him. When all the lights are out though, they're both out and about.

I'll try to get a picture of the smaller one's colors, when he's not scared his dorsal and tail fin have a brilliant blue shimmer and a bright red border.

Thanks!

I picked up my two C. acutirostre and put them into quarantine today. They both appear healthy, as did their tankmates, but we'll see if that's the case in a week.

The search for a female C. guentheri continues. Talked to the people at the (probably) best LFS in town and they said that they had them before, but won't carry them again because they are too hard to sell. Can't blame them either, they're shy and colorless when they're in a stock tank with tons of other fish. I've read that there's a lot of variance on what males and females can look like, and I believe it too because while one of my fish is distinctly a male, the other has attributes that could be either. Males are supposed to have less color than females, and if I went by that, I'd definitely have one of each because one is very drab with pale fin colors and the other is practically electric when not scared, except that... the color pattern suggests a male. Blarg.

I built them some caves last night, and sure enough, they immediately occupied them. As much as I'd love to have a pair of Lionheads in that spot, I think I'm going to pass on them for this tank, and end up with this until I can decide what to fill their spot with;

3x Hoplo cats
2x C. guentheri
2x C. acutirostre

Probably something that will go up top. The bottom is definitely full and middle is modestly traveled by the bottom dwellers.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 116
I finished my DIY forked spray bar today. Much more fish-friendly current than before. You can find the spray bar here.

The C. acutirostre are already eating! They dart out from under their plant cover to pick NLS Thera +A off the substrate. They still run away when I approach with the lights on, but not so much with them off. They're more active with them on today than yesterday. The two of them are buddies I guess, they chill under the same patch of Wisteria/Najas Anacharis and I have yet to see them squabble. One is about 1/4" smaller than the other.

I talked to a shop that is in direct contact with a West African importer, so there's still some hope that I can obtain a female C. guentheri.

Here's the spraybar in action.

YouTube - DIY Forked Spraybar for Fluval 405 (on 56g column tank)

Picked up three more plants for my 56g today. A Windelov Java Fern, a very large Apon, and a clump of Dwarf Hair Grass. The guy said he thought it was Apon. Ulvaceus. (As you can see below, the Hoplos like to play in the grass. I caught one pretty much doing barrel rolls in it not long after it was planted)

I also tried to break up the tank more with my rocks to make things easier on the small C. guentheri, who is still very actively making what I am assuming are spawning pits. I watched him for 30 minutes last night in one corner dig all the way down to the glass.

The H. littorale have an interesting new behavior; they'll torpedo themselves into the substrate to the point where only their eyes, dorsal and top of the tail are visible.

The C. acutirostre are getting more personable in their QT. The small one isn't eating much, if at all. The larger will search the gravel for NLS pellets, but the small one seems to have no interest. If he doesn't eat, that I can see, by tomorrow I'm going to get some brine shrimp or something else small and live for them.

Water is still a bit cloudy, but I think it's in part because of the sand dust that's stuck to the bio-film on the glass. I may have to squeegee it off.

I was going to build a terrace out of rock, but I think that ship has sailed. I'd rather have it resting on the glass, which would require way too much effort at this point.

I found the "perfect" piece of wood to go in the corner for cover. Now it's time to soak it! I HAD a background for the tank to block out the hoses and such... but the guy cut it 2" too short. And then they were out of it.

Attachments

• 56g_005.jpg
    56g_005.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 56g_006.jpg
    56g_006.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 56g_007.jpg
    56g_007.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 56g_008.jpg
    56g_008.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 122
Pics of the wood!

Attachments

• 56g_009.jpg
    56g_009.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 56g_010.jpg
    56g_010.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 103
So, I'd like some advice!

Given the plants and rocks that I have (all you see in the tank, plus about 10lbs more of black and purple slate), what would you do with the aquascape? I'm not after anything super specific... just things like, "I would move this over here", that type of stuff. What do you think would make the tank look more appealing?

Suggestions of a plant to add would be great too. The Ulvaceus is kind of the "centerpiece", though it may get moved to the same-ish position behind the cave. I was going to try to confine the DHG to behind the wall of pagoda stone you see on the left, and fence it in the back with some vertical slate pieces.

But yea, basically just... "What would you do if this were your setup?".

Thanks!

I decided to shoot a few minutes of my tank out of boredom. Not the best time to do it, as my water is cloudier than ever!

The footage didn't come out in 1080p like normal either. Probly has something to do with being shot at full zoom so I could stand back and not distract the fish. Oh well!

Got a big plant order coming next week; the tank is going to look like an overgrown jungle. I'm going to be selling off my anacharis trimmings to LFS since none of them have any that aren't brown and dead/dying.

YouTube - 2 Minutes of my 56g Column Aquarium

I decided to shoot a few minutes of my tank out of boredom. Not the best time to do it, as my water is cloudier than ever!

The footage didn't come out in 1080p like normal either. Probly has something to do with being shot at full zoom so I could stand back and not distract the fish. Oh well!

Got a big plant order coming next week; the tank is going to look like an overgrown jungle. I'm going to be selling off my anacharis trimmings to LFS since none of them have any that aren't brown and dead/dying.

YouTube - 2 Minutes of my 56g Column Aquarium

Great tank and tread Roku!!!

Thanks!

My Spotted Climbing Perches (henceforth referred to as SCP since I'm tired of typing out their scientific name) had their first encounter with live food today. I bought a bunch of Ghost Shrimp in varying sizes (from 1/4" to 1") and set them loose. Turns out my SCP are way out of practice at hunting; they've been trying for several hours now and have yet to nab one lol. They're out a lot more now though, and as long as they're engaged in the hunt don't seem to mind my presence as much. They are really awesome to watch hover around and try to ambush.

I also put a bunch of the GS into my main tank for a little experiment. So far neither C. guentheri has taken a shot at them. If a week goes by and there aren't a bunch of shrimp MIA, then I'm going to consider adding some smaller schooling fish. Perhaps some Praecox Rainbows. I was going to plunk a Delhezi bichir in there but despite my long-standing love of Polypterids, I don't want to deal with having to prevent their escape.

I've also caused myself a mini-cycle in the 56g. I unfortunately lost a bunch of bio-max into the sink, when the mesh bag they were in split at the seams. Combine that with having trimmed and removed some of my Najas Anacharis from the tank for trade-in purposes, and there you have it.

What kind of substrate is that?

It's a mixture of 2:1 Seachem black fluorite sand and Carribsea Tahitian moon sand. I originally was going to do black fluorite gravel but changed my mind mid-setup, so I bought two bags of it and added it to the Carribsea I already had to save myself some money.

The fluorite sand is the more charcoal gray looking stuff that's super fine.

A little report on that Apon. ulvaceus 'centerpiece';

Since I put it in a little over a week ago, four new leaves have already shot up to 3-4" out of the bulb! I never imagined the thing would grow so well in low light. I really need to get off my rear and fix the 4x24w fixture, though no plants are dying just with the 2x24.

So here we are, two weeks later. The ulvaceus has exploded, the Watersprite is getting there. The C. acutirostre are now in the tank and getting along just fine with everything, even the larger of the two Gunther's.

I think floating Watersprite is my new favorite plant - the way it glows under light and diffuses that green color down through the tank is pretty spectacular.

I put a Rubberlip pleco into quarantine today along with the mystery fish. I almost brought home a Green Spotted (L200) pleco but was told they suck at algae eating and produce a lot of waste. He's still on the 'maybe' list but I don't think I'll end up getting him.

Forgot to clean the glass before I took pictures, woops!

Attachments

• 56Big.jpg
    56Big.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Ulvaceus.jpg
    Ulvaceus.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 95
  • FloaterSprite.jpg
    FloaterSprite.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 100
Good times... my Ulvaceus had a bud (flower?) at the end of a stalk that was about 40" tall and coiling around the tank. Unfortunately my very active fish broke the stem. But, it was growing about 10" a week so hopefully I'll see another soon.

The tank became so crowded with Egeria Najas that I had to do a massive trimming session... I cut out a pile about 18" across and 12" high, and I wanted to sell it but it was during the week when I work all the hours that the stores which would take it are open.

Oh well, there'll be more!

So, more good times!

My male Hoplo cat is attempting to build a bubble nest. I haven't given him the necessary 'supplies' to do so though. Not really ready to have to rescue a huge batch of fry from my perches and cichlids. In a week or two I might set him up and see how it goes.

If anyone has experience or suggestions with bubble nesting fish and what will work the best, I'd greatly appreciate it since these are my first bubble nesters!

It feels like this tank has been going forever, but in its present incarnation, it's been less than 4 months!

But I'm happy to report that I've got a 0% mortality rate for my fish! Snails have been less fortunate, as I've lost 3 of 4 Mystery and 1 of 2 Nerites. Fine one day, dead and floating the next.

The Apon from the pictures has proven to be my greatest battle yet. It's flowered four times, and grows so fast that I have to trim it every week or its huge leaves get stuck to the filter intakes. The hair grass is... just sort of existing. It grows up still, but rather slowly. Hasn't turned into a carpet yet. But that's ok! I'm considering adding a burrower or two to the tank and I don't think they'd appreciate a nice thick root mass in their face.

Every two weeks I pull out a mass of Egeria Najas that's about the size of a basketball. The Watersprite is finally thriving as a floater too, now that I made sort of a corral to keep it from being tumbled in the output. My holding/plant grower tank, the 10g, got infested with fuzzy green algae recently and I had to toss 90% of the plants in there, but it was mostly Egeria that had come from the 56 anyways.

The smaller of the two SCP still won't take pellets. I get the feeling he's going to be eating mysis/krill for most of his life. Everyone else loves the NLS though (and the Hoplos skim the surface to steal mysis from the SCP!).

I'm considering getting a Banjo cat for the tank as the aforementioned burrower. Also in a ~1 year I'll be moving, and upgrading these fish to a 90+ gallon, so with that in mind I'm on the lookout for more interesting fish that would be comfortable to grow into that size.

If you can think of an interesting fish that fits those parameters (presently 56g, going to 90+ in a year) and would get along with 3 active Hoplos, 2 friendly (but hungry) Spotted Climbing Perches and 2 grumpy but generally passive Guentheri cichlids, let me know!

Back
Top Bottom