56G Column Stocking Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluegillfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am a member of this forum and another and I just wanted to ask on both to get multiple opinions on what I should do with my stocking plan. I don't want to make a bad choice.

I currently have 2 Neon Tetras I plan on getting more of them. 5 Zebra Danios would like some more of those as well, and one pleco.

I would like to stock my tank with some colorful fish to go with what I have as well as a small shoal of cory cats.

I was thinking maybe of something like this.

10 Neon Tetras
10 Zebra Danios
1 Pleco
6-10 depending on reccomendation of cory cats

then I am open for the color fish I would like yellows,oranges, or blues I don't care of goldish or "Plain" fish I was wondering about rams or dwarf gourami i am not sure at all tho if those would work with the other fish.

What dimensions are the tank? Danios do best with at least 30" of length so they can burn off their energy, which I don't believe a standard column tank has. They tend to get pretty nippy in shorter length tanks. Most column tanks are difficult to stock due to their poor oxygen exchange rates (lack of water surface area) and short length.

Angels, gourami, and cory cats are all good column dwellers, as are any less active schooling tetras like the neons you're already planning on. Plecos tend to be large bioloads for their size and can be territorial, so you may need to pick between the pleco (depending on type) or the cories.

There's nothing wrong with your stock, however I will say that all of the neon's I've ever bought from Petsmart have died inexplicably. I think a single angelfish would make a great addition to a tank of those dimensions.

Back
Top Bottom