58g tank filter, hob or canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteDingo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a 58g tank dimensions(30"x18"x25") I've been using an hob for my 10g tank(aquatech 5-15) thought about getting the tetra ex70, but noticed a canister in others set up so hesitated o buying the ex70. any pros or cons of having either?

You'll receive a lot of varying opinions on filtration.....

I'm not familiar with the EX70, for hang on the backs I use Aquaclears exclusively and have been very happy with the performance, reliability and ease of maintenance.

On my larger tanks (75 gallon and 120 gallon) I use API Filstar filters and have been super happy with those as well.

Canisters generally have larger media baskets so they can hold larger quantities of media over the hang on the backs which equates to larger surface areas for larger, stronger bacteria colonies. I have also found them to be easier to customize with specialty media - they just have more options as they have more space...

Another plus for canisters to me is the ability to add spray bars to better direct the flow of water throughout the tank. Some of the Filstars have an adjustable flow spray bar so you can actually lessen or increase the flow of the water depending on the species of fish and plants.

My hang on the backs are quiet but not as quiet as the canisters - my canisters are super quiet.

Some keepers ease up on their maintenance schedules with canisters allowing them to run for months without being cleaned, not me - I usually clean hang on the backs and canisters every 30 days.

Either option will work fine, so would sponge filtration for that matter - to me it just comes down to economics, in most cases you will pay a little more for a canister.

A good hang on back filter would be Deep Blue BioMaxx 55 Power Filter.

Canister would also be a good choice. Canisters are more expensive, potentially more problems with leaks, but a+ filtration ability.

I've been really happy with my Forza 7 Canister filter on my 56 gallon tank. Super quiet. I have a HOB on my 20 gallon, thinking about changing that to canister as well, although it may be over kill. But I like the cleaner look of the canister filter

Thanks, i don't mind diving more money if the canister is better off in larger tanks.
are leaks common though?

Leaks are not that big of a problem with canisters, especially with the new ones these days. Most people get leaks by not being careful during filter cleaning and damage an O-ring.

Thanks
Should I get 2 200w or 300w heater, or a single? I'm unsure since the tank is only 30" wide

If you live up north a pair of 200 watt heaters would work, I.m south of I-10 and on my 55 a 150 watt was sufficient for what little use i would get. I would only plug it in around the first real cold front to come thru and unplug it a couple of months latter.

Call me indecisive, but I think having two filters would be nice: one canister and one HOB. You get a little variety in your flow pattern, and dual filters gives you redundancy in case one has problems. For reference sake, I'll be setting up a 40B soon with a Magniflow 220 canister and an Aquaclear 70. (Love Aquaclears! (y) )

how far apart should the spray bar be?

should the green hoses be this extra long?

am I doing this right?

NMIP5li.jpg

b7VC3MK.jpg

The intake and spray bar position is fine, the hoses can be trimmed back some. You do want some slack in the hose but not too much.

Back
Top Bottom