Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I would strongly advise you to stay away from corys since they like a gulp of air every so often. That would be quite the trip to get a breath of air. Frogs would be out of the question too for the same reason.

My head hurts just thinking about cleaning the gravel in that thing!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

5g can make a comfortable enviorment for a Betta. They are surface breathers so surface area for gas exchange isn't as important. You could even get a ghost shrimp or two to help you keep the bottom clean.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

pacu?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

musicman, i believe you read the post wrong. Its 5 ft, not 5g. And I too would love to see the gravel vac for this (let alone the fish net your going to need haha)
Old 03-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can admit, it's a very cool tank and piece of furniture. Down fall is it's not at all good for fish.

I suggest you just try to resell it for some profit, if not the same price. Just invest into a better tank. I don't think it will be worth the time and effort trying to keep this tank.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd sell it and get either a nice cylinder tank like the one loneranger showed us, or a nice average box tank, bowfront would be neat.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:09 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you seen that recent movie with will smith? something with the word 7 in it i can't remember. Anyway i have no idea if this is realistic or a movie thing but he had some freakin tight jellyfish in a tank just like yours lol
Old 03-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Another worry I would have is O2 levels at the bottom of the tank.
Gas exchange takes place at the surface so make sure you have plenty of circulation to draw the oxygenated water to the bottom.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had a job convincing my girlfriend to let me buy this and have only just got away with it so I think I'd better set it up for a bit at least and just put a couple of coldwater fish in. If it's really that bad I'll re-sell on Ebay and am sure I'll make a profit.

Spoke to the seller last night, really nice guy. Says (don't know how true this is) that it's relatively easy to run. He says the powerhead is extremely powerful so the tank stays clean and also means any water heated at the top (by the heater) is sucked down immediately so the tank maintains a good constant temp should I want to use it for tropical fish (as did he). He mentioned that he tried the whole 3 levels thing, top feeders, bottom feeders etc. And said it worked well, some of the fish even bred in there, so can't be that bad. He found the tropical fish all hung about at the bottom of the tank.

Says he carrys out a partial water change once a week and a proper clean once a month, he has modified an algae scrubber type thing (I assume he's attached it to a pole of stick or something? That he uses to scrub the inside). I'd better give it a go, if I just have 2 or 4 small coldwater fish in there I can't see how thats cruel. They'll have lots of space, a very clean tank and bubbles too. Water circulations gotta be half decent I hope. If only for a couple of months, if all else fails I can take the fish back to the petshop and sell the tank on Ebay.

I'd love to have it full of seahorses or jellyfish or marine fish (not sure it'd be possible) but really can't afford. Just want a low maintainance coldwater tank that looks good and the fish don't die on me all the time (I've had bad luck with tropical fish in the past). I'll let you know how it's progressing...

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Really appreciate that.

I assume PACO means idiot or worse in another language???!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMakstar View Post
...If it's really that bad I'll re-sell on Ebay and am sure I'll make a profit...
Isn't that called the bigger fool theory?

If someone wasn't willing to out-bid you on ebay right now for this item, why on earth do you think someone will later pay more that you paid for it (especailly when you consider you have to sell if for what you paid for it + what you paid in shipping just to break even).

Tags
column, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com