5g (almost) finished!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
With the help of an active sponge from the angelfish website my tank has cycled in record time. I just added these little guys last night, and thankfully there is no trace of ammonia or nitrite. I'll keep an eye on it for a couple more days to make sure. I can't wait to give them their first feeding of live brine shrimp!

img_1689235_0_1d6ac49aa27eb14ac17adb6b755f8d09.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had any live plant suggestions that would survive in brackish water. The LFS said they didn't have any salt-tolerant plants, so I might have to order them.

As for the decorations.. I was more worried about giving them caves and crevasses to hide in than aesthetics when I threw this mish mash together. The first thing to go is probably going to be the blue gravel. I'm thinking some gray or brownish sand would look nice. Any thoughts? :D

And one more thing - a couple of the gobies have some mild fin rot (they were like that at the LFS, and these are all that they had). I used prime to dechlorinate the water, and I put about two tablespoons of marine salt in the tank. It's hardly enough for them to notice but I thought it might help them heal. Is there anything else I could do? They seem perfectly happy so far. They're very energetic this morning :D

I love bumblebee gobies. I only have one but he is fun to watch. Do you know which of the two species you have? Ask the fish store for the latin name. If they are brachygobious xanthozona they can tolerate freshwater better. I would not suggest fully fresh but you could lower the salinity down to attempt to keep the plants. How much did you pay for the little guys?

I forgot to ask while I was there, but I believe they are Brachygobius xanthozona, because their stripes are very well defined. The next time I'm over there I'll ask. Either way it's alright though, I planned to keep the tank between 0.003 and 0.008 SG, letting it vary over the course of months. Hopefully that doesn't mean I'm limited to plastic plants. They were $2.99 each. (which I believe is a real bargain!)

Back
Top Bottom