5g breeding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skenny

Aquarium Advice Freak
5g grow out tank

What is a good heater for a 5g fry tank for guppies. i will use a sponge filter. what type of substrate should i use? do i need a top or light,?

I'd recommend a larger tank for guppy breeding. Sponge filter is good. Easiest substrate to deal with in a breeding tank is none. Bare-bottomed. No need for a top, if a guppy jumps you have serious water issues IMO. A light is only needed if YOU want to see them under one.

this would just be for fry, the guppies would be in a 20g. is it still too small?

Just to raise the fry? No. Sorry for my confusion.

yes this would be a grow out tank. i would breed the guppys in
a 20 gallon is 5 gallon good?

Guppies don't actually need a heater as long as the room temp isn't lower than the mid 60's. A little sand for substrate would be helpful for the beneficial bacteria, also some fast-growing live plants like Najas or hornwort to maintain water quality.
I actually have white cloud fry growing out in a 5 gallon bucket that way, no sand in the bottom but there is some Najas and Salvinia in there, along with some ramshorn snails.

but i would need a light for plants correct? but i dont need a heater? never heard that before.

Whether you's need a light depends on where the tank sits. Guppies are fine at normal room temps, keeping them warmer just shortens their lifespan a bit.

I agree with toddnbecka, I have a single fry my LFS accidentally gave me in a small unheated, unfiltered container. Of course the water temp is in the low 70's and I keep up with water changes ever other day. A long strand of anacharis and some java moss also add security and help with water quality.

change this to a 10 gallon, is it still ok? sponge filter? no heater?

Back
Top Bottom