5G Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David03

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings All,
I'm over from the SW forum, and was wondering if I could get some help from you FW experts. My sister is interested in starting a FW aquarium and has a 5G tank. I told her that bigger is more stable... but she is a sister, and won't listen to big brother. :roll:

I was wondering if any of you would have stocking suggestions for a tank this small. Something kind of colorful and interesting. I know that I like the dwarf gouramis... so could we do that and a couple of tetras or rhasboras, maybe?

And hearty would be better, since this is her first non-gf or guppy tank.

TIA
David

you could get away with a Betta, or maybe two-three white clouds... but they arent very colorful... but very hardy!

she will need a heater with the betta, but I dont believe the white clouds require one...

I don't really like 5 gallons for anything long term but if I had to pick I'd say 1 betta or a couple of white clouds minnows maybe? IMO a dwarf gourami needs more than 5 gallons.

I agree. A dwarf Gourami would be cramped in that size of a tank. Maybe some neons or white clouds?

It's ashame you can't convine her to go with at least 10 gallons, you can find them so cheap. Maybe also a couple of guppies, but they could breed and then she'd have problems. Possible 4-5 neons if she does alot of water changes. But neons apparently aren't known for being hardy, though I have never had a problem.

Much better than a 5 gal. Now there are much more choices such as dwarf gouramis, cories, dwarf cichlids, platies, small tetras, small plecos, otos, etc.

Yeah! That will be a much better tank then a five gallon. Whatever else you put in there I would definitely recommend at least two albino cory cats. I love them and they are so cute and active.

I had 5 neon tetra's in a 5 gallon for about 2 years and they did really good.

At my LFS, at any given time, they have 18-20 neons in a 10 gallon tank. Same for White Clouds Mountain Minnows, etc.
The one side has 30) 10 gallons, three rows of 10 like stairs. This is the smaller freshwater.
Across from that is 12, two rows of 6 stacked, 29 gallon tanks. There's another six 20L on top. All larger fish (tropical and cold water), plus a bunch of guppies in a divided 29 gallon are there.
The back side of this is 3) 55 gallon and one 40 gallon tank with the saltwater fish.
I've always asked is this "too crowded?". He's always said, no. Typically he has 1.5-2" of fish per gallon in all tanks. All tanks have box filters. Everything is clean and his reputation is outstanding.
He has told me as a retailer it is to his advantage to get them in as tight as possible. He sees 2" of fish per gallon no problem so long as there's enough filtration and you are on top of maintainence. His tanks are very clean.
His advice is for the home, 1" to 1.25" is fine. There are some cases where 1.5" will be fine too. I was also under the impression that Neons will live a long time and are fairly hearty. I'm cycling the tank with near adult White Clouds, because Zebra Danios, while also a good starter, will be too active for a peaceful community. I've seen Zebras in half the tanks at the local Petsmart. Most were with a school of Neons, who were being bullied by the Danios.

oh, that bigger tank will be sooo pretty. I think you should get a couple of dwarf gouramis, maybe a flame and a neon or powder blue. I like the flame becuase of the red! And then maybe a school of some sort of tetra's (im thinking 6) and some cory catfish. That would be a very pretty tank!

Back
Top Bottom