5g tank stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copachick

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this question has been asked a million times, but I was thinking of getting a little tank for my desk in my office. Maybe a 5gl if not something bigger. Is there another step up from a 5gl? And what does one put in such a small tank?

:thanks:

You could 10 gallon.

You can put a Betta, Neon Tetra's, Snail's, Shrimp, Guppy's, Endler's, or African Dwarf Frog's.

Yeah I was thinkking neons. I know they are schooling fish and didnt know how many I can put in there and if theyd have room to swim around and be happy. I have neons in my other tank and they are getting big

I'm doing a ten gallon with this stocking:
6 neon tetras
3 ottos
2 African Dwarf Frogs
1 male betta

Sparkling gouramis, Chili or phoenix rasboras, male or female betta, small tetras (neons, embers, von rio), small loaches (sidthimunki, Y. cruciatus), celestial pearl danios would work in a 5 or 10 gallon (not all at once, obviously).

I would disagree with the gourami..too small, as for the 5 gal, id say 4 or 5 neons, and a betta. You could even add some type of shrimp and a snail for more to look at. They sell 5, and 7 gal tanks that are cubes, and look pretty decent, id go for that. I have a 5 gal tank with 3 neons (lost a couple, but don't wana add more for risk of introducing neon tetra desiese, I also have a betta, and a baby bulldog pleco. Also as far as bettas, I've noticed my crowntail doesn't seem to like 5 gal much, but is very suited to his 10 gal, but my super delta tail hates the ten gal.... not sure if this carries with all the bettas, but perhaps different breeds do better in specific sized tanks... also, if you do a betta tank, but a section of a 2l in front of the filter to kill the current, as they hate that..
Bettas are the best fish imo for a smaller tank (nothn less that 5 gal though)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110615_194730.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110615_194730.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 72
Idk, I've found conflicting info on that. In smaller tanks, a bigger school will feel too safe, and not school, or start pecking each other more. I have 3 in a 5 gal, and 5 in a 10 gal, and both groups seem incredibly happy..but that's just me

hippy guy said:
Idk, I've found conflicting info on that. In smaller tanks, a bigger school will feel too safe, and not school, or start pecking each other more. I have 3 in a 5 gal, and 5 in a 10 gal, and both groups seem incredibly happy..but that's just me

Actually, I have seen that happen, I've seen six Neon's in a tank, and they just hover there in the water.

Yeah, iduno I also noticed before some of my neons passed that they were all over the tank, now there's three and there always together

hippy guy said:
I would disagree with the gourami..too small, as for the 5 gal, id say 4 or 5 neons, and a betta. You could even add some type of shrimp and a snail for more to look at. They sell 5, and 7 gal tanks that are cubes, and look pretty decent, id go for that. I have a 5 gal tank with 3 neons (lost a couple, but don't wana add more for risk of introducing neon tetra desiese, I also have a betta, and a baby bulldog pleco. Also as far as bettas, I've noticed my crowntail doesn't seem to like 5 gal much, but is very suited to his 10 gal, but my super delta tail hates the ten gal.... not sure if this carries with all the bettas, but perhaps different breeds do better in specific sized tanks... also, if you do a betta tank, but a section of a 2l in front of the filter to kill the current, as they hate that..
Bettas are the best fish imo for a smaller tank (nothn less that 5 gal though)

No. Severum mama was right. SPARKLING Gouramis grow to about 1.6 inches. The minimum tank size for them is like a ten gallon.

You just said the min. Size was ten gallons though (also says ten g. Online, he was wanting a 5 gal tank, if you did do the sparkling gourami, it be the only fish you could really do, as I've read they don't like fast, small fish like most tetras, since gouramis are so slow.... but iduno it could be done, but imo, it be overstocked.. for 5 gal. Id say stick with tetras, now get a ten, and that's a diff. Story

You just said the min. Size was ten gallons though (also says ten g. Online, he was wanting a 5 gal tank, if you did do the sparkling gourami, it be the only fish you could really do, as I've read they don't like fast, small fish like most tetras, since gouramis are so slow.... but iduno it could be done, but imo, it be overstocked.. for 5 gal. Id say stick with tetras, now get a ten, and that's a diff. Story

I've kept them for several years. ;)

You can keep a trio in a 5 gallon with some shrimp. 10 gallon is not the minimum for Trichopsis pumila, IMO. They max out at an inch and a half and don't have any problem living with tetras. I've kept them with tetras, rasboras, shrimp, and Boraras without issue. Would I keep them with black skirts or bleeding hearts? No, of course not. But smaller tetras like embers, neons, cardinals, no problem.

Back
Top Bottom