5gal recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
well, this morning my beloved dwarf pufferfish passd away, and i was wondering what could be done with his tank.

Its 5gal, heavily planted. heres a pic:
img_765437_0_8a6a047171be3004e8d87cfcc830faae.jpg

I am really getting into breeding stuff... and would like to know what might be best for this tank.

-I love all types of cories
-another DP might be nice
-cherry red shrimp are my first thought, i think they would be a nice thing to breed

If i went with CRS, could i have the dwarf/pygmy cories too??

I am really at a loss for what to do with the tank. Help and suggestions would be great
here are some fish i do not want
-livebearers
-bettas

hey jason, you recomended that to me and im stealing your idea hehe lol im doing the cherry shrimp in my 5gall as well! im currious to know to if I can have like 3-5 panda corries!

well, the cherry abaies are almost microscopic, and the pandas might gobble them up, you can have three pandas if u are willing to do alot of water changing and could care less about the shrimplets...

i think you could get away with a single male apisto... or a couple bumblebee gobies (i know they are considered brackish but i have heard sucess stories of people keeping them in 100% fresh)

meh, i want to breed something though. LOL, this makes it difficult, i know.

I have a post in the classifieds forum for CRS, those are what i really really really want. If not i will probably go with dwarf cories and an small school of tiny fish...

The Panda's might eat baby Cherry Shrimp but I have a breeding population with adult Guppies. Seems a very large majority of them survive. I'd be more worried about Guppies than Cories. But your choice.

Kind of off topic: CRS is normally considered Crystal Red Shrimp. RCS is Red Cherry Shrimp. Just a FYI for other users so they don't get confused. ;) I did the same thing too.

I have a herd of 6 dwarf cories in a planted 5 gallon. They are very spooky in that tank and hide 99% of the time. I think they would be more comfortable in a larger tank.

Cherry shrimp are really fun to watch and easy to care for. They would LOVE that tank (who wouldn't?)!

Mmmm...those and some of those Galaxy rasbora dealies would be fantastic....

The only fish that is nearly 100% safe in a breeding RCS are Otos. Dwarf Cories are the next likely fish. Some people have reported having no problems with them eating babies while others have. My guess is that they will eat a few of the babies, but you'll still be able to get a good population going. The nice thing about this, is that you could also breed the Dwarf Cories in this size tank. I've even heard of Corydoras Pygmeaus being bred in a 2.5 gallon, so the 5 gallon should be no problem.

I have to say it again... I love that tank!

Cories would love this tank too.

Kind of off topic: CRS is normally considered Crystal Red Shrimp

I thought CRS was something you get when you get old and Can't Remember S*** :)

Back
Top Bottom