5gal tank stock ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NadiaG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an extra 5 gal tank that I wanna put to use.

I do realize it is a small tank and therefore I do not want to put any fish in there. I am thinking more shrimp but I never had them before...

The tank does not have a filter. I have a bubbler and a heater for it though.

So my question is, what are my options: shrimp (how many and what kind), a crab perhaps? I don't really want to make it a snail tank either.

I heard RCS are pretty easy...

Any tips, ideas and advices are highly appreciated! Ty

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You might want to get a filter for it. Otherwise, you could leave it as a quarantine tank, make it into a planted tank, or snails, or combo. Otherwise, I'm not sure. Maybe a betta?:ermm:

In terms of fish you could add a betta or pea puffer.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you. I guess shrimp would def benefit from having a filter..

My problem is that it is an acrylic cylinder tank and a filter would create too much vibration and would not mount properly to begin with...

I've been reading on it and I think my options are getting limited to either snails or betta

I agree with the sponge filter. The shrimp really prefer them too.

All my sponge filters I made using this video. Really amazing channel for other aquarium diy too.

You could dedicate to an invert only tank (some amanos and cherries and a few nerites?)

I would refrain from the pea puffer as they need really heavy filtration and do better in a 10 gallon (because they are messy)

If you get a betta, baffle the sponge filter by drilling holes on the sides of directional piping and put and end cap on it (the horizontal one that the water flows out of).

For a betta in a 5 gallon I would change 10-25% of the water weekly. Depending on what you feed him.

I suggest hikari bio-gold.

Good luck, - Raymond

Wow, thank you for a reference! That was really helpful. I think I am going to build the sponge filter regardless of the inhabitants I will end up getting.

So I guess I am between shrimp and betta fish :)

You could do both. Depending on how your betta is you should be able to keep shrimp. A lot of people have (me being one) without problems. However some have had incidents (me being one LOL). I would just put in a trio of ghost shrimp and see what happens! If it does okay, you are fine adding more (lightly stock though because even though shrimp have a low bioload, it adds up.).

Best of wishes on your tank and you should check out his other videos. Great channel. In fact I believe he recently made another filter video that is a lot like a inner wall filter... You should check it out. :) - Raymond

Back
Top Bottom