5gallon...10gallon. Ugh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohsnapitscharity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so currently I have a 5g stocked with 5 platies (3f, 2m-one female died) and 3 ghost shrimp. Now, before you get on to me the platies are moving into a 10gallon today along with the ghost shrimp. What else can I add? Oh and I'll be getting another female platy to get the ratio back to where they were in the beginning. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423570908.654772.jpg

Also, what should I do with the soon to be empty 5gallon?

Charity

Get a dwarf/pea puffer for the 5 gallon. They're cool and really cute. Do some research first though.

Your Tanks

Hello Char...

Small tanks aren't suitable for most aquarium fish. It's difficult to keep the wastes from building up in the water and killing the fish. You'll have better luck getting a larger tank. 30 gallons is about right. This sized tank will give you a much better chance for success in this hobby.

B

5 platy's will be way to much for a 10 gallon as they grow. It will be very hard to keep the ammonia and nitrates low enough to be safe. You can get a 20 long at Petsmart for $32. It would be the minimum size for that many platy's. Definitely do not put more fish in.

Now for the 5 gallon. You could get one Pea Puffer, do some research before getting though. They can be difficult to keep. You could also get a Beta. 5 gallons work out nicely for these fish. You could also put a few Celestial Pearl Danos or guppies in it. There are many colors of freshwater shrimp available. 5 gallon tanks make a great shrimp only tank. You could also get a colorful crayfish.

A shrimp tank, too small really for anything that you would want to take care of.

Nils

I have male Endlers in a 5g but it's a well planted, established tank.

Back
Top Bottom